Author Topic: Router/Gateway  (Read 3460 times)

brandonm

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Router/Gateway
« on: February 17, 2012, 08:37:56 pm »
Hey everyone, I am in the process of learning about Zentyal and I have been pulling my hair out to get this working properly.  I am able to connect to the internet fine through my Eth1.  My Eth1 is set to my External link and it is DHCP.  My Eth1 is connect to a large already built network but I want to use eth0 to have the private address type.  I have set both up and they seem to be fine internally but I cannot get the computers connected on the internal (eth0) to connect to the internet.  It seems that Zentyal is not configured to forward the data to the external network.  I have tried everything and I have set eth0 default gateway to the gateway of eth1 thinking that would send it on out, but still no luck.  Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong?
Eth1:147.133.-.-
Eth0:192.168.-.-

Remon

• Zen Monk
  • Luctor et emergo
    • View Profile
Re: Router/Gateway
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 09:08:59 pm »
0 Can you access internet from the server?
1 add DHCP to the setup and define a matching range. then set the clients to use DHCP. -> ReBoot one.
2 check the clients IP addresses they recieve after boot. Is the gateway the Zentyal server ?

-more then one dhcp server active in you internal lan ?
-DNS not working ?  (try opening a website by its IP address, not its name)

good luck  8)

brandonm

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 01:59:21 am »
I can access the internet from the server.  I set up DHCP on the internal side and they get the addresses but still cannot access the internet.  If I understand correctly the Zentyal machine will be the gateway from the internal to the external part that is hooked to another network.  Just my DHCP will be on the internal because I will directly connect the machines to a switch.  I will have to try the ip part.  Any other ideas!?  :-\

ichat

• Zen Hero
  • RTFM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 07:15:39 am »
did you enable the  network/gateway module in zentyal and/or what modules did you enable?  what version are you running,  did you install any updates,  does zentyal properly see your network interfaces... 
do you have anything in the error log...   

there are a lot of questions you should answer first...  have you read this post
All tips hints and advices are based on my personal experience.
As I try my best to be as accurate as possible, following my advice is always at your own risk,
I claim absolutely NO responsibility in any way!

brandonm

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 09:24:35 pm »
I have basically enabled every module.  I have installed all updates available and the core version is 2.2.5.  And it sees everything fine. I have attached a pic of my screen.

johnbrand

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 09:44:19 pm »
Well. It looks like eth0 is down.

Is eth0 connected?

--John
--John

brandonm

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 10:13:58 pm »
It was originally connected and the computers actually got a ip address from the DHCP but the internet would never work on them.  I can reconnect them easily it is just no internet connect to them.

vshaulsk

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 11:00:11 pm »
One link should be defined as internal and one as external.  Client PC connected to internal... this way your zentyal server is working as a gateway.  Turn on DHCP server for the internal interface:  Define an IP range, Gateway, and DNS server.

You might need to add a firewall rule which allows traffic from internal clients to the internet.  Under the firewall sections ...

you need to make sure that your clients can reach the internet through the gateway firewall.

also check your clients...   make sure they have a correct IP address from the range you have defined.  Make sure they have the correct defined DNS server and the correct Defined Gateway IP.

My case the eth1 (internal) has an IP of 192.168.10.1   
My client gets a DHCP address of 192.168.10.100   DNS of 192.168.10.1 (Zentyal is the DNS) and gateway of 192.168.10.1

I have a rule in the firewall section for internal clients to the internet.

Which says
source: any
destination: any
service: http  (this service is defined under the network module - services as ports 80 and 443)

Also from the clients make sure you can ping your gateway.  Tracert your gateway and DNS resolution.  Basically check the basics.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 11:03:35 pm by vshaulsk »

brandonm

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 10:58:26 pm »
Alright I am back at it, sorry about long delays in posts.  It seems that my gateway is working now but I can only access websites based off of ip addresses.  So there is something wrong with my DNS.  Not quite sure how to set it up properly.  Do I need to add a specfic ip address for my DNS?  Thanks for all the help everyone!

robb

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 10:24:34 am »
You need to fill in some DNS servers in Core/Network/DNS

Try DNS servers of your ISP, Google, OpenDNS etc....

brandonm

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 04:44:47 pm »
I have filled in several different ones in the Core section.  Google DNS being my primary one.  My Zentyal machine has no problem loading webpages by their name but my internal network cannot connect unless you know the ip address. In the infrastructure portion I have only Enable transparent DNS cache checked.  Under DHCP I have Primary nameserver set as Local Zentyal DNS. Is there something I am missing?

brandonm

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 03:52:47 am »
Any ideas? I have included several different DNS in the core services.

christian

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 07:33:14 am »
In order to investigate efficiently, you need to isolate stacks and ensure each is working as expected.
It also requires to understand how "accessing internet" works.
I don't like this wording as it is not accurate enough, even if I suppose you mean "using my web browser to access internet".
Keep in mind that accessing internet can also be FTP, SSH, telnet, news and technology to support these different access types may differ.

Back to your problem: assuming you want to access internet with your browser, meaning HTTP protocol, I think you need first to define proxy architecture taking in account the fact that you are connecting to an existing network which provides real access to internet.
- Is this network directly connecting the web (from HTTP standpoint)?
- is there any transparent proxy somewhere on the path?
- is there any explicit proxy?

Depending on above answers, then you may have to work later on DNS but this is definitely not the first step, IMHO.

robb

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 08:12:56 am »
Did you already mark your WAN adapter as EXTERNAL? This is mandatory in order to get internet access for your LAN clients.

christian

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2012, 08:33:47 am »
Did you already mark your WAN adapter as EXTERNAL? This is mandatory in order to get internet access for your LAN clients.

You're right: the easy way is to define this interface as "WAN" even if this could be misleading. In this case, this interface connects to internal network and not directly to internet and perhaps even not to WAN.