Author Topic: Slow web surfing (Really slow)[SOLVED]  (Read 8399 times)

SorlaK

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
Slow web surfing (Really slow)[SOLVED]
« on: September 10, 2011, 04:01:02 pm »
First, congratulations for all your work is really great.But since i moved from my previous debian lenny where i had a squid proxy for my user and a stable websurfing to a zentyal 2.04 my user can no longer surf through the web.So i check some possible problem like dns but it work just fine then i check the log of the squid but nothings comes up wrong. My proxy required authentication since there is a parent proxy above my proxy so the password of my user most match in both servers this work just fine. but there is a delay somewhere that it wasn't before, the delay is between 20-60 second or more. the usuals error messages are (run out of time or that the server is taking to long to answer so is down (which is not) and if a webpage open don't load all the content like pic.just to give one example (if the main page of google open www.google.com and i make a question i never get the answer to that question it just stay in a loop. If anyone have a clue of what may be the cause of this behavior i would really appreciated.Thanks for all your work. and sorry for my english.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 07:17:13 pm by SorlaK »

christian

Re: Slow web surfing (Really slow)
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 04:34:59 pm »
1 - did you try without proxy (direct connection) and compare performance?
2 - what are Zentyal components installed so far?
3 - if "Monitor" is installed, is there anything there that could help? (or have a look at server console, e.g. top)
4 - could you explain a bit more your network design?

SorlaK

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 08:06:59 pm »
Thanks for  the fast answer,let see:
1 -Yes, the performance from the zentyal server trough the parent proxy is fine.
2 -So far 14 they are DNS
Monitor
Certification Authority
Network Configuration
DHCP Service
BackUP
NTPSERVER
User and Group
File Sharing
NetWork Object
HTTP Proxy (Content Filter)
Printer Sharing
Network Service
Firewall
3 -hmm i look the log of the system and the squid log also the monitor but dint see anything wrong
there were no problem in syslog so dns is working just fine no problem in store an cache log from squid, the access was fine too just login the requested data however in the client browser the page is not complete always somthin is missing like pic.From the monitor i could see that the event of users are accepted but the retrieve in byte is too small.
4 -Like i said in my workplace i have only a few user like 7 i connect trough adsl to a node whish provide email and internet access using a proxy wish is my my proxy-parent my users are also store in that server so when a user authenticates to use Internet  it  does against my proxy and then against the proxy-parent i use 2 Ethernet card one for LAN and the other for the WAN.Thanks for your work and time.

christian

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 08:37:19 pm »
1 -Yes, the performance from the zentyal server trough the parent proxy is fine

I meant client accessing internet without Zentyal proxy. BTW I don't see the added value of 2 stacked proxies... is there any specific reason?

SorlaK

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 08:56:22 pm »
Unfortunately  the zentyal-server is also the gateway of my user so the only way to acces internet is trough the zentyal proxy since the ip address of the zentyal-server is linked to a ACL in my proxy-parent,the reason for two proxy is just a network-security policy and is setup only for authenticates  the users and control the time of day/ipaddress from where they can use the web.However this is the same setup that i was using a week ago with debian lenny with no problem.Again thank for your fast replay and for the time you take.

SorlaK

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 05:22:57 pm »
Hello everyone, well.... still whit the same problem, i disable the filter content hoping that dansguardian stop filtering the request but still the same behavior, there is another way to disable the filter content.Thank for all your work.

SorlaK

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 06:20:59 pm »
So let me update this, i check with the HttpWatch my request with firefox and well and i found this an error 504 (gateway time out) and 404 (Not Found) the second one is obvious but the firs? DNS problem? i leave two screenshots.Any idea about this?

christian

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 06:24:02 pm »
and did you find time to test without proxy? (trying to isolate whenever it could be due to proxy itself or not) as discussed earlier in this post?

SorlaK

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 06:57:31 pm »
I just make a port redirecction to my proxy-patent and it goes just fine, no delay problem.Thank for all your work and time.

christian

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 09:57:24 pm »
Good, so it shows that from network standpoint and DNs standpoint too, it works well.
This is because, as clients are not aware of parent proxy, they have to revole URLs so DNS works too.
Now let's look at behavior when Zentyal proxy is deployed.

Zentyal proxy by itself works well. It's no more nor less than Squid + Squidguard & Dansguardian. Many of us are using it without any problem. So what's wrong with your settings ?

SorlaK

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 11:30:26 pm »
OK i am posting the monitor screenshot,thank for all this really.

christian

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 11:37:37 pm »
thank you but:

- is it with proxy disabled?
- you should have selected last day so that it shows memory usage while proxy is in use

SorlaK

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 12:21:08 am »
Ok top is here it is not screenshot but a plain text file.thanks for evrerythins

SorlaK

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 03:29:21 pm »
Ok some update here, i upgrade whit a fresh install to zentyal 2.2 (Great Work) is a lot faster that the previous V, but the issue persist here i leave the access.log and store.log from squid also a small part of  sys.log.So far......Thanks for the time and the effort.

christian

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 03:47:05 pm »
Sure issue persists!
there is a lot of TCP_MISS/504 in your access.log  ::)

And did you notice that the only successful connection are those stamped with "PARENT", all the "DIRECT" fail.
I wonder why you would have any "DIRECT" if you have cascaded proxy.

Please post your squid.conf file typing
cat /etc/squid/squid.conf | egrep -v "^s*(#|$)" > squidconf_clean.txt

« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 04:03:32 pm by christian »