Author Topic: Can't join domain, client email wont login, and a folder sharing query  (Read 3403 times)

diablothe2nd

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Hi,

got a few issues i need some help on.

I'm setting up a new server in my company to replace the old windows 2000 server that is currently the local domain controller and file sharer (and must stay that way until the new one takes over).

the DNS settings i've set on the ebox i've intentionally made different from the current DNS server on our network. the old one is company.local and new one is company.co.uk as i'll be wanting email to go straight to it from the internet, and sent to my colleagues.

in the DNS section i wasn't sure what to put in hostnames, so just put the hostname of the new ebox server, and it's fixed ip address.. in mail exchangers i've set to the ebox hostname too

so here's my problems:

I cant get a client to join the domain. putting in company.co.uk says "a domain controller for the domain company.co.uk could not be conatacted".

i also cannot send/recieve email with outlook. it just continuously keeps asking for a username and password even though i'm putting them in correctly.

finally, a file sharing query:

i've got 2 pairs of RAID arrays in the server. the first set is a 300g mirrored array, and i want to keep just the operating system and ebox install on this. the second RAID array is a 1TB mirrored array, which I want all emails, home folders, and the shared directories to be. How do I tell ebox to use my /media/files directory to store such data? is there a config file for ebox i can edit?

Many thanks

diablothe2nd

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Can't join domain, client email wont login, and a folder sharing query
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 02:20:29 pm »
ok i've figured out how to share a folder from a specific location. But i still cant find anything to change the user's home and mail directory :(

diablothe2nd

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 04:28:55 pm »
right, somethings seriously wrong.

here's the last few lines of the ebox.log when i tried to change the domain name:

2008/11/18 15:23:43 ERROR> Sudo.pm:185 EBox::Sudo::_rootError - root command test -e /etc/bind/db.tewassociates.local failed.
Error output:
Command output: .
Exit value: 1
2008/11/18 15:23:43 INFO> Manager.pm:601 EBox::ServiceModule::Manager::__ANON__ - File /etc/bind/db.tewassociates.local does not exist. So we won't compute its digest
2008/11/18 15:23:43 ERROR> Sudo.pm:185 EBox::Sudo::_rootError - root command /usr/bin/stat -c%dI%iI%fI%hI%uI%gIhI%sI%XI%YI%ZI%oI%bI%tI%T /etc/bind/db.tewassociates.local failed.
Error output: /usr/bin/stat: cannot stat `/etc/bind/db.tewassociates.local': No such file or directory

2008/11/18 15:23:42 DEBUG> PgDBEngine.pm:152 EBox::PgDBEngine::insert - Error inserting data: INSERT INTO message ( from_address, message_id, message_size, status, postfix_date, event, message, to_address, client_host_name, relay, client_host_ip) VALUES ( ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?)
2008/11/18 15:23:43 ERROR> Sudo.pm:185 EBox::Sudo::_rootError - root command test -e /etc/bind/db.tewassociates.local failed.
Error output:
Command output: .
Exit value: 1
2008/11/18 15:23:43 INFO> Manager.pm:601 EBox::ServiceModule::Manager::__ANON__ - File /etc/bind/db.tewassociates.local does not exist. So we won't compute its digest
2008/11/18 15:23:43 ERROR> Sudo.pm:185 EBox::Sudo::_rootError - root command /usr/bin/stat -c%dI%iI%fI%hI%uI%gIhI%sI%XI%YI%ZI%oI%bI%tI%T /etc/bind/db.tewassociates.local failed.
Error output: /usr/bin/stat: cannot stat `/etc/bind/db.tewassociates.local': No such file or directory

it looks like sudo.pm keeps failing. looking back through this log, it's evident that this is the case for alot of things!

i can't see what's causing this :(

oh, forgot to add, i installed the base install of ubuntu 8.04.1 64bit, then used your install tutorial to install ebox via the repository stated.

there's nothing else on the system apart from base install and ebox.

help!  ???

sixstone

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • Sixstone's blog
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 05:04:11 pm »
Hi diablothe2nd,

I will try to answer you some questions you have:

* I think the log is logical if you don't have those files yet. However, try to disable, save changes and enable the dns module again.
 * the DNS hostnames are the leftmost part of your domain. For instance, www.company.co.uk, the www is the hostname.
 * Regarding to your mail issues, have you set the full username, that is, user@virtualdomain.
 * eBox does not manage hard disk partitions, so you may change your mounting points. The samba shares are located under /home/samba.

Hope this helps you.
My secret is my silence...

diablothe2nd

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 05:34:53 pm »
hi Sixtone and thanks for replying :)

i've disabled the DNS module, saved changes, then reenabled, saved changes

i was tailing the ebox.conf and the only error i got was about sudo.pm and trainspam. this isn't enabled anyhow so it doesn't bother me.

but i still cannot get a client to join the domain.

* the DNS hostnames are the leftmost part of your domain. For instance, www.company.co.uk, the www is the hostname.

dont you mean that company is the hostname?

or should i be putting "www" in the hostnames section of DNS? at the moment i've got the name of the ebox server, and it's ip address listed in hostnames, and 127.0.0.1 as the hostname in mail exhange as i want the same box to be dns and mail server.

this is a bit confusing to set up. could do with a tutorial hehe :D

and yes i've got email set up as username@company.co.uk, with the username and password set in user section. and a virtual mail domain for company.co.uk set

diablothe2nd

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 08:01:31 pm »
after doing some more tinkering something seems to be working now:

; <<>> DiG 9.4.2 <<>> +time=3 tewassociates.local
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 41344
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;tewassociates.local.      IN   A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
tewassociates.local.   86400   IN   SOA   ns.tewassociates.local. admin.warp.es. 2008111818 28800 7200 2419200 86400

;; Query time: 0 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.16.3#53(192.168.16.3)
;; WHEN: Tue Nov 18 18:57:32 2008
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 89

but my windows xp client machine still wont join  :( it still complains that the "DNS name does not exist"

do i need to add the client machine name to the domain to allow it or something?

javi

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 09:31:58 pm »
Could you upgrade your eBox to the latest available packages?

Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

And, please could you try another domain name? Change its name in File Sharing -> Domain, save changes.

Are you using a real machine or virtual machine?

diablothe2nd

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 09:20:00 am »
Hi Javi

apt-get updated bind9-host dnsutils and libxml2

i changed the domain name

......and.....

it almost worked :(

it first complained that multiple logons of same user are not allowed. so i restarted the client machine and tried again. now it's saying the "user name cannot be found"

ebox is on a real machine.

thanks for your help so far  ;D

diablothe2nd

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 09:30:12 am »
hmmm. perhaps this problem with users is also why emails wont log in.

i'll try removing the users and adding them again. perhaps i added them at the wrong time (like before certain modules were started) as it was one of the first things i did when i got ebox running.

diablothe2nd

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 09:35:07 am »
ahhh crap.

tried to add the users back and now ebox says:

An internal error has ocurred. This is most probably a bug, relevant information can be found in the logs.
An internal error related to a template has occurred. This is a bug, relevant information can be found in the logs.

the log says:
2008/11/19 08:33:27 ERROR> Samba.pm:720 EBox::Samba::adminUser - The user has incomplete group memberships; to be administrator he must be both member of domain Admins and Administrators group
2008/11/19 08:33:27 ERROR> Base.pm:343 EBox::CGI::Base::__ANON__ - no value sent for required parameter 'user'

so went back in to edit the user and got the first error again.

can you tell me a way to flush the user data cos it looks like somethings not been removed properly :(

sixstone

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • Sixstone's blog
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2008, 09:52:29 am »

dont you mean that company is the hostname?

or should i be putting "www" in the hostnames section of DNS? at the moment i've got the name of the ebox server, and it's ip address listed in hostnames, and 127.0.0.1 as the hostname in mail exhange as i want the same box to be dns and mail server.

Sorry for my bad explanation. If you have www.company.co.uk, then the hostname is www and the domain is company.co.uk.

Hope this helps you.
My secret is my silence...

diablothe2nd

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2008, 10:11:06 am »
thanks Sixtone

any ideas on how to sort out this user issue?

diablothe2nd

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2008, 10:37:17 am »
i think i've found a bug or something.

even though ebox tells me a user has been added and it shows, the logs are saying otherwise:

2008/11/19 09:35:09 ERROR> Ldap.pm:464 EBox::Ldap::_errorOnLdap - $VAR1 = {
          'add' => {
                     'memberUid' => 'user'
                   }
        };
2008/11/19 09:35:09 ERROR> Ldap.pm:466 EBox::Ldap::_errorOnLdap - Unknown error at EBox::UsersAndGroups::addUserToGroup modify/add: memberUid: value #0 already exists

diablothe2nd

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2008, 04:39:01 pm »
ok, i've completely reinstalled ubuntu and ebox, even after issues with esofttool not being available  :-\ grrr

i was very careful in which order i started various modules, and made sure that adding users and groups was the last think i did but i'm still having issues with users joining the domain

it's complaining that "multiple connections are not allowed. disconnect previous connections and try again" yet this is the first time i've tried connecting with this username.

thanks for any help you give (again hehe)

diablothe2nd

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2008, 04:51:41 pm »
actually! forget i said that!

windows had remembered my username and password and logged into the shared drive.. i guess that counts as a log in if your trying to access the domain too.

i've now been able to join the domain!!!!

WOOOHOOO!!!!