Author Topic: Input/output error (NO Gui)  (Read 3662 times)

SeanPF

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
Input/output error (NO Gui)
« on: July 26, 2011, 01:25:47 pm »
I've had this problem for ages. On both my Zentyal machines, the gui crashes repeatedly. There is no way to get it back other than restarting the machine. startx doesn't work sudo /etc/init.d/slim restart doesn't work. Nothing I've tried works. Doesn't anyone else have this problem? What causes it, and what is the solution? I'm going mad!

Code: [Select]
Fatal server error:
Failed to submit batchbuffer: Input/output error

Please consult the X.org foundation for help....
Also check log file at "/var/log/Xorg/0/log" for additional information

ddxSigGiveUp: Closing log
giving up
xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.
xauth: error in locking authority file /home/sean/.Xauthority
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 02:47:02 pm by seanpf »

Sam Graf

Re: NO Gui
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 03:53:47 pm »
Just to be clear, are you talking about the console or about the web interface? In either case, this isn't something I've experienced in using the product since eBox 1.0. I do seem to recall seeing it come up here from to time (both types of failure), but I don't remember anyone coming to a specific cause or solution.

stuartiannaylor

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 07:20:49 pm »
The only prob I ever had with the GUI was http://forum.zentyal.org/index.php/topic,6055.msg24885.html#msg24885

Basically ubuntu's default disk allocation is a little stupid and you just run out of room and can't start the GUI.

The remedy is in the above thread, if thats the fault. I would use winscp and have a look at your logs.

Stuart

SeanPF

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 11:53:30 pm »
Yeah, to clarify I mean the console. It crashes, takes me to the command prompt (what do you call the command prompt in Linux?? oh, Terminal right?), and I can't start it again. When I try, it looks like for a minute it will start again, it flashes, but then goes back to the command prompt. The web interface still works from another machine on the network, and I can still access it via NX.

It's been a consistent problem on every version of eBox and Zentyal that I've installed on any machine. I gave up ages ago trying to solve it, but I'm giving it another go.

I will check out that thread, Stuart, and let you guys know if that solves it.

SeanPF

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 02:55:23 pm »
Nope it has nothing to do with disk allocation.

I think I actually only have one partition with root and home both being on it, I have plenty of free space.

When I type "startx" in the terminal (the only way I know to get the GUI up again), the screen flashes as if it will come back, but then it doesn't and I see the following error:

Code: [Select]
Fatal server error:
Failed to submit batchbuffer: Input/output error

Please consult the X.org foundation for help....
Also check log file at "/var/log/Xorg/0/log" for additional information

ddxSigGiveUp: Closing log
giving up
xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.
xauth: error in locking authority file /home/sean/.Xauthority

Anyone with any ideas?

SeanPF

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
Re: Input/output error (NO Gui)
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 04:47:23 pm »
Looks like I had to get rid of slim and replace it with lxdm, now it doesn't crash.

sudo apt-get remove slim
sudo apt-get install lxdm

Reboot machine and it works!

Such a simple solution and it's eluded me for so long. I can't believe nobody else had this!

SeanPF

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 04:50:18 pm »
OH MY GOD IT CRASHED AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SeanPF

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 05:00:39 pm »
Somebody please help me.

My desktop just keeps crashing at random moments, sending me back to the console. The only way I can use my Zentyal server is via NX on another machine! All my Zentyal servers have this same problem, HOW can it only be me????

Sam Graf

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 09:36:16 pm »
Somebody please help me.... HOW can it only be me????

That's a fair question, but if next to nobody in the Zentyal community is experiencing this problem, it's hard for a community support forum to offer much help. :(

Given that this has happened to you across all versions of eBox and Zentyal, and given the number of changes to eBox/Zentyal during that time (including a change to the underlying Ubuntu LTS release), it's hard to imagine what the common element at the eBox/Zentyal end could even be. I'm not saying it's not possible, but that's a huge number of variables to consider ...

robb

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 11:00:08 pm »
Thinking out loud and considering what sam ^^ posted: did you test your hardware? Memory, CPU, harddisk(s)
It's rather strange if you get this behaviour all the time so start suspecting your hardware being the problem.

Did you try to install zentyal 2.04 installer? (with the improved partitioning)
How did you install your servers in the first place? used an ubuntu install and added the zentyal packages or used the zentyal installer?

On almost every linux cd there is a memtest option. So you can start booting from a cd and do that test.
Can you post back results?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 11:01:50 pm by robb »

SeanPF

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2011, 02:45:40 pm »
It can't be hardware related because it happens on multiple machines of different types with different hardware; but they are all basic PC's with Pentium 4 processors and on-board Intel graphics.

I've installed them with the 2.0-3 installer and earlier from CD, I always use the CD to format and install fresh copies. I haven't tried the 2.0-4 yet.

I've installed Zentyal about 10 times on at least 5 different machines, and they all have this problem. The GUI crashes at random moments.

I'm beginning to think it's the weather, or perhaps a poltergeist...

Sam Graf

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2011, 02:56:28 pm »
Just an almost totally random thought, looking for a common element ... are you doing RAID via the PCs' IDE interfaces?

SeanPF

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2011, 12:43:33 pm »
Yes, I am using RAID 1 with IDE drives on one of my servers. I set it up manually while installing Zentyal. Why?

Sam Graf

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2011, 02:29:34 pm »
I have heard that RAID on stock PC IDE interfaces is problematic from a performance standpoint in that stock IDE interfaces aren't designed to do simultaneous I/O on different channels. Whether something like that could cause system instability in a software RAID setup, I don't know.

The only other speculation I can think to make has to do with Firefox. I had a eBox or Zentyal machine (can't recall which) that required a reboot after leaving the dashboard open for a long period. Free memory was gone and the machine had ground to a crawl. I'm guessing that Firefox had or has a memory leak related to JavaScript. Since then, I don't leave the dashboard open long. Maybe it was a one-off or Firefox is fixed, but I just avoid leaving the dashboard open.

SeanPF

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2011, 09:43:50 am »
Thanks for the ideas

As for Firefox, that wouldn't be the problem. The GUI crashes at random times, sometimes after 5 minutes, sometimes after an hour, regardless of what I'm doing. I have sometimes left the dashboard open a long time, but it doesn't seem to affect the memory or performance. I constantly check the available memory using gnome-system-monitor, and I'm always more than fine.

As for the RAID... like all the other solutions posed so far, it wouldn't really explain why it happens on both my different servers, since I only have RAID set up on one of them.

Still no solution.