Author Topic: Input/output error (NO Gui)  (Read 3661 times)

Sam Graf

Re: Input/output error (NO Gui)
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2011, 02:07:12 pm »
I wasn't optimistic about the ideas, so I'm not surprised that they're not proving helpful. Hopefully someone will come along and figure it out. It would be interesting to know the cause even to those of us not experiencing the problem.

jsalamero

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2011, 02:36:00 am »
Is any of your partitions full? check with df

Does it happen using the latest 2.0 installer?

SeanPF

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2011, 12:08:22 am »
No, none of my partitions are full.

I used the 2.0-3 installer...

geoughx

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2011, 04:15:07 pm »
SeanPF, YOU'RE NOT THE ONLY ONE OUT THERE!!  There's at least me...

Well, let me admit up front that I don't have a clue.  I'm a total noob, playing first with Ubuntu server and then Zentyal server on an old machine at work... with hopes of learning what to do, and improving my skillset.

I installed the most recent Zentyal from ISO on the site this week, had it up and running in about 1 hour, and was just about to start playing with the GUI, when..... <screen goes blank>  then flashes funny vertical bars on the screen (similar to a "align print cartridges" printout) and then alternating blinking cursor.  I rebooted, things look fine, I get on average 3-5 seconds with the GUI, just long enough to login, and then kaboom!  The screen flashing starts.  I began researching it on forums, and your experience is the closest one that seems to match.  I can, however continue to reach the Zentyal box through a browser on another machine on the network while the GUI on the Zentyal box has crashed. 

The machine I'm using is ALSO an old P4, however only 512MB RAM, and 160GB HD (single drive, no raid config).  It's an old Dell GX 280.  I just wiped the drive on Zentyal install.  So the hardware is NOT up to date, however, my Ubuntu (11.04 32bit server) install worked fine, and I used Webmin AND Gnome with no issues.  So I know the exact hardware config will handle Linux with a GUI.  I just can't identify the problem.

I have NOT attempted to check the slim/lxdm issue... since I can't get to a command prompt (my blinking cursor is just that... it's not actually a command prompt.  Typing anything in at the cursor results in.... nothing.)

So I'm a bit stuck on how to proceed.... since it's just a test box, it's not critical.  But I like the possibilities that Zentyal holds for a noob like me to get a LOT more function out of a linux server than Webmin will allow, and all a LOT "easier."

Anyhoo, just know you're not the only one out there with this problem.  But unfortunately, you may be the "smartest" one out there that has this problem... that means we're looking to you! ;-}=

stuartiannaylor

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2011, 11:25:08 am »
Shaun,

Only thing I noticed is that you said you had only one partition where root & home... is all in the same.
The default install isn't like this its an LVM where the root, home and boot are on different partitions.

You sure yours are all in a singular one? As Ubuntu does make a pants default alocation scheme.

Otherwise the screen thingy does sound very much like I had with ubuntu and a laptop with an old ATI rage mobile graphics adaptor.
What cards are you running, shared mem? how much.

I can't get the fault and I have setup zentyal on some pretty old hardware but all my current installs are brand new.

christian

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2011, 04:15:12 pm »
1 - does it mean same machines never crash with Ubuntu 10.04 without Zentyal?
2 - did you already look at this:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/555573
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/intel-82845g-788563/