Author Topic: Error to configure PDC in Zentyal 2.0  (Read 3745 times)

felipemb

• Zen Monk
  • La base del conocimiento + experiencia = TODOO!
    • View Profile
Error to configure PDC in Zentyal 2.0
« on: May 26, 2011, 03:00:02 am »
Hi,

I'm a new user of this fantastic Software Zentyal 2.0 has everything i need. GREAT JOB!

I have some problems and questions on the use of PDC, let's start:
.I have installed Ubuntu server 10.04 LTS and the repository Zentyal all the components updates
.All the modules has installed, except: Jabber, VoIP, Groupware and Web mail service

I would like to configure my server as a primary domain controller, but i have not connection with my clients. Some questions about this:
.Do i need to configure LDAP for PDC work? or i'dont?
.I need to share some folders in my network, it's better to use LDAP for this? or i can only share folders without using LDAP?
.GPO's can be applied from Zentyal? or this is not possible?

Configurations:
.Name server: servidor
.PDC: empresa.sml
.IP internal: 192.168.100.100
.IP external: 201.245.**.***
.All modules work fine: DHCP,DNS, etc.
.The server response ping from IP but not from name server, I don't know why.

I want to know any tutorial for the configuration of the PDC in Zentyal, thanks for your time and your help.

Best Regards
Siempre con la mente clara!

Josep

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
Re: Error to configure PDC in Zentyal 2.0
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 10:53:39 am »
I would recommend you to read some more Zentyal documentation. You seem too obsessed with LDAP, but you can carry out many actions (actually, most of them) without getting your hands dirty with LDAP. Indeed, after you read the docs and play a little bit with it, most of your questions will answer themselves.

felipemb

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 04:49:40 pm »
I'm not really interested in LDAP but with the PDC does not work i thought he needed to configure first the LDAP. I only need to run the PDC.

I have read almost all the documentation, but i don't see any article on Domain Controller, only share folders and there activate the PDC but just not it has worked me.

This is the document that i read:
http://doc.zentyal.org/en/filesharing.html

I very much appreciate your time and i will continue looking for a solution to my connection.

Thanks for your time

Josep

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 05:12:36 pm »
You shouldn't need to worry about LDAP (normally).
But you say that the more important issue has to do with connectivity (you are not able to ping the server by name).
If that is correct, are you pinging the server locally or remotely?
If remotely, which DNS is in effect in that particular client? You may need to ensure that the DNS is pointing to your server.

felipemb

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 08:10:31 pm »
OK,

.From the local pc in the network i do ping to name server "servidor" but this NOT respond
.From the local pc in the network i do ping to domain controller "empresa.sml" YES this respond
.From the local pc in the network i do ping to ip server (intranet) "192.168.100.100" YES this respond
Not be because the server does not respond.

DNS server:
.Primary: 192.168.100.100 (local)
.Secondary: 200.75.51.132 (ISP)
.Tertiary: 200.75.51.133 (ISP)

All services work well, except the service "Shared files" this appears "Stop" when i clic on start "Start" shows me the following error: "Error  the service started. See /var/log/ebox/ebox.log" i use the command "$cat /var/log/ebox/ebox" to see the error but appears a long long list. and not be where this especific error. Do you need something this log?

I did diagnostics using: "Ping" from "Tools diagnostic", this are the results:
.ping to "Equipo01" = Equipo01.empresa.sml (not dropped packets)
.ping to "empresa.sml" = empresa.sml (not dropped packets)
.ping to "servidor" = servidor.servicios (not dropped packets) but not is because ".servicios" this value where i can change? for "empresa.sml"

Not be where this my problem...

Thanks very much, again...

PS: attackment two images

felipemb

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 02:29:10 am »
This is the error:

Code: [Select]
2011/05/26 19:06:48 DEBUG> Runit.pm:194 EBox::Event::Watcher::Runit::_runningAlertServices - Module samba is not running (48)
2011/05/26 19:06:48 INFO> Log.pm:118 EBox::Event::Dispatcher::Log::send - $VAR1 = bless( {
                 'source' => 'service',
                 'compMessage' => 'Compartir ficheros',
                 'level' => 'error',
                 'dispatchers' => [
                                    'any'
                                  ],
                 'timestamp' => 1306454808,
                 'message' => 'Los siguientes modulos no se estan ejecutando pero estan habilitados: Compartir ficheros
'
               }, 'EBox::Event' );

I hope you can help me.

Best regards

Josep

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 03:49:58 pm »
Well, first things first.
Regarding the DNS issue, it is not enough to say that the Zentyal box is a DNS server, you actually need to put names in it. On the left menu, under Infrastructure, go to DNS. You should see a list of domains, and I would expect that it contains one single domain "empresa.sml". Click on the icon under the Hostnames column for that domain. It will list the device names and IPs in the DNS. Add your own server there with an entry like "servidor" and IP=192.168.100.100. All this stuff may look redundant but it is not.
Save all the changes and try again.

Regarding the file sharing issue, that error may be caused by a misconfiguration.
Go to Menu>"Module Status" and check that the module is actually enabled.
Go to Menu>"File Sharing" and check that all parameters are correct. Keep in mind that the Domain name is not the same than your Netbios name. Make them different. You could name yours with workgroup="WORKGROUP" or "EMPRESA" and the netbios name="SERVIDOR" (for example).
Save the changes. If the error still persists, try restarting the server or even rebooting it (nothing beats a clean start).

Good luck.

felipemb

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 11:09:37 pm »
First thank very much for your valuable time

I have checked all the settings to your recommend. I have taken screenshots for greater clarity.

image1 = Dashboard (with the error restart the service "Share files"
image2 = Dashboard part2 (the service "Share file" appears "Stopped" and does not work)
image3 = Domain list "empresa.sml" ip=192.168.100.100
image4 = Hostnames. I change "ns" name for "servidor". But not working yet
image5 = DHCP configuration
image6 = "Share files" configuration

Not be need me, but i can't get PDC and "Share files" services.

I appreciate your help.

Best regards

continue....

felipemb

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 11:10:33 pm »
....continue image5 and image6

Josep

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 11:12:16 am »
I see in the screenshots that there is a message at the top of the page, and it suggests you to look in /var/log/ebox/ebox.log. Is it still the same error message you already posted in this thread?

On a side note, I see that you have the server with IP 192.168.100.100 and, at the same time, the scope of your DHCP (see "image5.png") is 192.168.100.1-254. That doesn't seem right. Your DHCP range shouldn't include your static IPs. May I suggest that you reduce your DHCP range to something like 192.168.100.101-192.168.100.200? This will still give you room for up to 100 dynamically assigned IPs which, unless you are a large company, it will be more than enough.

Regarding the file sharing ... could you please try changing the domain name in "Compartir Ficheros>Nombre del dominio" from "empresa.sml" to something like "empresa" or "empresasml"? Just don't include the dot. After that, restart the service.

felipemb

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 01:33:49 am »
Thank you very much for not letting me alone in this problem.

Answers:
.Yes, the log message is always the same
.My range DHCP is 192.168.100.10 - 192.168.100.99, i attached a screenshot of the part below. (image1)
.I change my Domain to "empresasml" but does not work ahhhhhhhh  :( (attach an image) (image2)
.This is the error (image3)

I'm really concerned about this problem, i have three days to find a solution, then i'll be looking on all sides a solution.

Thank you again and any idea is a light for my

Best regards

Josep

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 10:41:27 am »
I can't figure out what's wrong. The settings in those modules (DHCP and File Sharing) seem correct.
Without additional data from /var/log/ebox/ebox.log (i.e., if the only errors are those you mentioned in the first posts) you are stuck.

I guess this is your first install and it is not a production server.
I suggest the following paths from here:
1.a. Review all the relevant logs again for clues: anything in /var/log/ebox/* and in /var/log/syslog, etc.
1.b. Validate your Samba configuration with "testparm /etc/samba/smb.conf".
2. Remove the file sharing module. Reinstall it and have a SSH window open with "tail -f /var/log/ebox/ebox.log". This will allow you to watch the messages being generated as you progress with your installation (you can terminate the flow with Control+C).
3. Reinstall the whole server from scratch. Maybe there was some error along the way? You should be able to do it, anyway, and it would be a good exercise.

felipemb

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 12:51:53 am »
I decided to do a new installation. i could not determine which was my problem...

The new installation is fine, all my services is "Running" and the PDC responds.

Only two questions (at the moment):
.Because my server does not respond  when i ping to clients ex: "Equipo01" it's not respond
.When i try to connect my pc "Windows XP SP3" to PDC "empresa.sml" this asks me a username and password, i have tried whit:

User: root
Password: ************* (error of password and user)

User: usuario (this is my user Zentyal administration web)
Password: ************* (error of password and user) again!!

Then!!!!!!! not be which user and password set.

Thanks Josep for your time and patience jeje

Best Regard

PS. This is a migration of server Win2003 to Zentyal in a enviroment enterprise and yes is my firts installation of Zentyal...... i hope that everything does well with this new system (Linux)

Josep

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 11:19:37 am »
You are trying to run before you can walk ;-)
Joining a domain requires that absolutely everything underneath is properly configured and running smoothly, however DNS is not working, so this is what we must solve first.

My assumptions are that you have installed and configured DNS on Zentyal, and that your server is "servidor".
You should configure you server to be able to use 127.0.0.1 as its nameserver. Make sure that it works.
Set DHCP and ensure that the parameters are correct, and that it passes your Zentyal server as the DNS to the clients.
Once this is done, connect a client to the network. Make sure that it gets the IP and that the new default domain and nameserver are your Zentyal server.

collisionsystm

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2011, 02:56:22 pm »
I would recommend you to read some more Zentyal documentation. You seem too obsessed with LDAP, but you can carry out many actions (actually, most of them) without getting your hands dirty with LDAP. Indeed, after you read the docs and play a little bit with it, most of your questions will answer themselves.

Make it easy on yourself and install the official zentyal release. Installing on Ubuntu from the repositories doesn't come out well.