Author Topic: Scheduling Cron Jobs  (Read 8104 times)

feratechinc

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Scheduling Cron Jobs
« on: February 27, 2011, 11:36:10 am »
Is there a way to schedule tasks and run cron jobs similarly to Webmin?

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • http://blogs.zentyal.org/jacalvo
Re: Scheduling Cron Jobs
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 02:27:17 pm »
No, we don't have this feature implemented yet, but it will be nice to have. I've added it to the wishlist:

http://trac.zentyal.org/wiki/Document/Development/Wishlist/Module/Base#Interfacetoscheduleperiodictasks

Thanks for the suggestion.
Zentyal Server Lead Developer

feratechinc

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 10:59:36 pm »
The webmin interface for scheduling cron jobs is probably the best:

ken4000

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 02:19:27 pm »
This thread is quite old, but there are still no cron modules to install. Is it under development?

feratechinc

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 02:21:40 pm »
Heh, still forced to install webmin for this feature...

BrettonWoods

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 04:27:45 pm »
I use webmin regular its a great tool to compliment Zentyal.

I have a few servers running simple services with just ubuntu and webmin.

I wouldn't even dream of trying to get the complexity of Zentyal running under webmin.

Thats why I don't think there is any threat from using webmin and don't understand the need to supply when there is already a good piece of open source that does the job.

Install webmin and lock down the port and its as secure as Zentyal but just complements zentyal as it brings in things like an ldap browser, mysql admin and a lot more.

I am not sure about asking for tools where easily installable non conflicting tools already exist.
It re-invents the wheel and just creates extraneous support requirements.

Otherwise Zentyal might need to look at an ldap browser and mysql admin.

Personally I think its a lot more simple to say use webmin.

Or maybe make a webmin zentyal module? It would be much easier then recreating even half of what webmin can add to the sysadmins tool belt.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 04:34:25 pm by BrettonWoods »

feratechinc

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 04:34:51 pm »
It's just silly to have to install Webmin just for the cronjob functionality. Also, Webmin poses a pretty large security risk. Would be nice to have an install that did not require it.

BrettonWoods

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 04:40:17 pm »
Its absolutely untrue about the security risk as its a matter of perception.

Webmin used to run as root but hasn't for a while and runs as a sudo user.

Then when its comes to security risks and general paranoia of IT security you have to question what is the difference between webmin and Zentyal.

They both are web frameworks with sudo users that have root access.

If installed correctly and used wisely both have much to offer.

Its not just cron jobs I use webmin for quite a few options from raid admin, ldap browsing, database administration to generally using it to display the underlying setup when bug checking.

I can't go for the webmin isn't secure argument as you would have to say zentyal isn't secure because of the arguments used.

There is a section of the IT community who seem to believe we should pay attention to safety concerns such as don't run with scissors and dont stick your fingers in a plug socket.
Generally I take those concerns as obvious and many are wise enough not inform unless I might find a place for those scissors.

I am happy in how I lock down both zentyal and webmin you might not be but I think this is about opinion and the choice should be there.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 04:51:51 pm by BrettonWoods »

christian

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 04:49:10 pm »
Indeed Zentyal admin running on server it manages is not the most secure, I agree but at least running Zentyal admin ensures you can only execute what Zentyal GUI exposes. There is no delegation model, this is another weakness but almost all tasks are quite high level.
Wemin on the other hand permits much more "low level" actions and you can install tons of modules with some being able to easily and quickly crash your server forever or widely open doors.

This said, if you are happy with webmin, of course you're free to use it on whatever system.
My personal advise is to not use it on Zentyal.
Most (not all, I do agree) of the task you describe can be executed from remote and authorized client. This is much safer  ;)

BrettonWoods

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 04:53:59 pm »
Totally agree with you Christian as Webmin is a dangerous tool in the wrongs hands. Like any tool with the right craftsmen it can provide much.

I dont' have either the Zentyal or webmin interface available externally. Its either a VPN or go into the office.

Thats why I say its about choice and its as secure as you make it.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 04:55:58 pm by BrettonWoods »

christian

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 05:03:27 pm »
Thats why I say its about choice and its as secure as you make it.

How do you prevent webmin user/admin to install new modules and therefore new features  ???

BrettonWoods

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 05:09:02 pm »
I don't think that is the question as I could ask the same of how do you stop an zentyal user/admin from installing new modules or deleting them.

This is that area of the don't run with scissors where I have to warn I have an idea where I might stick them :)

christian

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 05:24:42 pm »
You are perfectly right as from your standpoint features available though Zentyal GUI and Webmin can be compared.
As on both one can install/remove module without additional control, level of risk is equivalent  ;)

BrettonWoods

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 05:36:23 pm »
Totally agree with you and Zentyal when employed correctly is very secure.

I just think it would be really easy for the zentyal staff to include webmin with a warning of beware of dragons...

I would have a go myself but not up to a deb creating standard.

There are a load of tools in webmin that do give a hell of a lot of information and provide essential tasks.

Seems a lot of work when there is already something available.

Anyone in the community? Good at creating a zentyal-webmin.deb with control over port and access?

Its a bit like M$ RSAT and Samba4, yeah, prob not what we wish, but makes a really good compliment.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 05:40:44 pm by BrettonWoods »

half_life

• Bug Hunter
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 06:41:14 pm »
Going back to the subject under discussion,  cron can be accessed by a tool such as gnome-schedule from the desktop if you are not comfortable with hand editing the files.  This function can be handled from a desktop login as I am not predicting that it would be a high traffic item. 

More of a set and forget thing would you agree?