Author Topic: Desktop not coming up, Command Login  (Read 3907 times)

rk536666

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Desktop not coming up, Command Login
« on: December 07, 2010, 04:44:47 pm »
I've install zentyal 2+ 64bit and it was running good until now the system keeps going to a command prompt. It's just like a terminal but the whole screen is used. I've tried startx and ctl+alt+backspace. Startx says it's already running and the other does nothing. How do I get to the desktop? I can issue commands and view files and folders and I have a mouse cursor.

Josep

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
Re: Desktop not coming up, Command Login
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 06:01:14 pm »
Alt+F7

rk536666

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 06:51:26 pm »
That should have worked, but it didn't. It removed the prompt, gave me the mouse cursor, and placed a solid square block in the top left corner. Some keys would place a hat and N like ^N. Then, it stopped responding to anything and I had to restart. I was able to ctrl+alt+delete and have it restart. It looks like if I let the machine sit it will log out to the CLI. I let it idle while logged into the dashboard and it did the same thing. I also let it sit at the main login prompt and after it sat for a while I hit enter to submit the username and it went to the CLI. Once at the CLI I can't get back to the desktop.

detrate

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 07:30:41 pm »
When this happens to me, I press ctrl+alt+f6 to switch to another virtual terminal, login, then type "startx"

rk536666

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 12:58:24 am »
Since I've used alt-f7 and had to restart it hasn't done it again, but I'll keep that in mind with ctrl+alt+F6 if it happens again.

rk536666

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 11:14:08 pm »
It started doing it again. When it blanks the screen, I have to press a key on the keyboard to get unblank the screen. However, it gives me a CLI login prompt like if I hit ctrl+alt+F6 on the desktop. Is there an update to fix this? I enabled a screen saver but that didn't work. Actually, the screensaver didn't appear. Thanks for any suggestions on what I can try.

Josep

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 12:33:08 pm »
Try disabling any screensaver, and making sure you kill the screensaver daemon.
Have you checked the logs for any suspicious message?
Maybe some graphics program keeps crashing. Which desktop are you using? Gnome, Lxde,...?
Do you still have access to the Weg GUI remotely?

rk536666

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 12:57:29 am »
Nothing in the logs that I could find. I've searched kern.log, daemon.log, xorg.0.log, as well as some others.

I'm using Lxde.

I haven't done any remote accessing to the system.

Josep

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 09:14:43 am »
Try "sudo service lxdm restart". This might rest your graphical GUI to a known state.
I am using LXDE without issues, but I always disable the screensaver (or use "Blank Screen"). Also, make sure that there is no Power Management active in some way.
Maybe you have some problem with your graphics drivers?
Have you rebooted your system since your last change? Sometimes, it helps.

rk536666

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 10:13:53 pm »
I'm going to setup a test machine and do more testing with x64 2.0-2. I initially installed this on a AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Six-Core, 4GB Ram, Gigabyte GA770T USB3 MB, ATI Radeon 5450 and I had issues with the keyboard and mouse stop working. So, I gave up and used another machine which had... AMD Phenom II x4 925, 4GB Ram, MSI GF615M-P33 MB (onboard video).... and is the machine it's currently running on was running good until the system started going to CLI. Also, when it was in the CLI the keyboard was very unresponsive. I had to press the keys hard or multiple times and was nearly impossible to type accurately. I tried other keyboards.

More info, when the system went to the CLI it said something about the login user and a few times had some text typed in as a username.

Moreover, I've already installed x32 version and it's running with no problems for a few days straight now. I was a little worried with this installation cause it failed at the simple package installation and I had to run the dpkg configure command, but after that it worked and is running great.

I really liked ebox/zentyal. I tested 1.4 and really liked it. I think it's a terrific project and wanted to stick with it. The developers are doing a tremendous job. I really only needed a PDC solution and to setup some file shares and I tried other distros out there and zentyal by far had the best GUI and configurators. The firewall module with services/objects is incredibly easy. Also, thanks for the replies and trying to help. If I get another x64 system going I'll try to do some more testing.

grimdestripador

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 12:52:27 am »
this is exactly my problem. I did two things recently. Play with screen savers, and and a sudo apt-get upgrade.

the sudo service lxde restart command does not seem to work
ctrl alt backspace does not do

in tty6 start x fails.
any ideas?

Edit: Update on this:

When screen goes black, and i wake the screen up, it does as <original post> says. I have both successfully and unsucessfully managed to start x from tty6.

i have noticed a SECURITY ERROR. When i enter tty1, my password is typed in viable text on the login line. with my login typed into proximate password field. It seems password is being typed before login.

Code: [Select]
Ubuntu 10.01.1 LTS workstation tty1

workstation login:
Ubuntu 10.01.1 LTS workstation tty1

workstation login: zzz_password_zzz
Password:
Login timed out after 60 seconds.

Ubuntu 10.01.1 LTS worksataion tty1

workstation login: zzz_myusername_zzzz

also using ssh to pass screen like ssh 10.254.250.54 -X google-chrome
gives error like (google-chrome:2905): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: localhost:10.0
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 01:51:22 am by grimdestripador »

grimdestripador

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 03:39:02 am »
My Fix:
was to remove the both xauthority hidden directories in the home folder
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 06:49:46 pm by grimdestripador »

grimdestripador

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2010, 02:37:38 am »
only worked for a day....
is it time for an install??

rk536666

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 10:45:39 pm »
Well, I've been running 32 bit with no problems for awhile now, but today I had an error logging in.

Said something like, Xsession error: Could not write to /tmp: Session may give an error.

There was a button I could click for OK and it would take me to the login prompt again with the zentyal logo.

I restarted the machine and when I logged in it gave me the error but after clicking OK it brought me to the desktop. While I was doing stuff the computer idled for a few minutes and it went to the CLI like before.

Is this just a /tmp folder issue? Can I just rm everything in that folder?

I ran sudo apt-get clean when I got to the desktop before I let the system idle. It didn't help.

jsalamero

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 10:10:52 am »
Then probably your disk is full, check it with the df command.