Author Topic: freshclam is outdated  (Read 3949 times)

stanman

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
freshclam is outdated
« on: July 09, 2008, 07:50:23 am »
Hi, in the Mail>Mail filter settings>Antivirus I get a notice that freshclam is outdated. How do I update it? I've tried apt-get update/upgrade, but that didn't solve it.

It says I need to upgrade to version 0.93.3

hortimech

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: freshclam is outdated
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 03:40:38 pm »
Tricky one this, it is not just freshclam thats out of date, all of clamav is. You can update it, but if you are using squid and dansguardian these will be removed ??? and the summary page will show antivirus as not running when plainly it is.
If after reading this, you still want to upgrade, do an internet search for the clamav website, all the info is on there.

stanman

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 06:50:06 pm »
am i the only one who's facing this? How can I tell clamav is running ok after the update if it's not visible in the ebox GUI?

hortimech

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 08:12:52 pm »
you could always do what I did, go to /var/run/clamav and see if the .pid file is there, not very high tech, but if you update clamav, you will have to check the pid file manually until the GUI gets fixed.

Javier Amor Garcia

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 09:39:42 am »
Hi,
  the outdated version message does not means that the antivirus doesn't work as all, it means that  it can't use some of the latest signatures. (see http://www.clamav.net/support/faq) .

As I am writing this the latest version of clamav found in ubuntu-hardy is the 0.92, in ubuntu intrepid the version is 0.93.1 and the latest clamav version is the 0.93.3, so if you want the latest version you will need to go to clamav homepage.

If you have the antivirus service active and the mailfilter is reported as running. the normal situation is that the antivirus is running too. We can add a field to the summary section to report the antivirus status but the whole summary is being reworked so I would rather wait for the new version of the summary before adding anything.

Cheers,
  Javier

diablothe2nd

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 04:48:43 pm »
i fixed this by adding this to /etc/apt/sources.list

Code: [Select]
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-clamav/ubuntu hardy main

then update the apt resources with
sudo apt-get update
then this will install the latest one hopefully
sudo apt-get install clamav
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 04:50:20 pm by diablothe2nd »

Handeich

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 09:27:35 pm »
Is it working? What about the above mentioned problems with squid and dansguardian?

diablothe2nd

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 10:47:21 am »
during the update process, it did update squid and dansguardian.

i've not noticed any issues in the logs and nothing got broken for my setup, but i'm using ebox as a DNS/samba, VPN, and Email server... i'm not filtering internet traffic, so cant test that.

squid seems fine though for my firewall  ;)

Handeich

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 09:30:25 pm »
ok - thanx...

So I will try that...  :)

posconsulting

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 04:40:18 am »
Following the instructions on their website for Ubuntu, I was able to update it to 0.94 (thought it was going to be happy) only to get the following:

Antivirus database update status
Status:    Update failed. Your version of freshclam is outdated.Please, install version 0.95 or higher
Date:    Thu Apr 2 22:20:01 2009

What is telling it that version 0.95 is the most recent when only 0.94 seems to be available?

Saturn2888

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 09:17:13 am »
Hi,
  the outdated version message does not means that the antivirus doesn't work as all, it means that  it can't use some of the latest signatures. (see http://www.clamav.net/support/faq) .

As I am writing this the latest version of clamav found in ubuntu-hardy is the 0.92, in ubuntu intrepid the version is 0.93.1 and the latest clamav version is the 0.93.3, so if you want the latest version you will need to go to clamav homepage.

If you have the antivirus service active and the mailfilter is reported as running. the normal situation is that the antivirus is running too. We can add a field to the summary section to report the antivirus status but the whole summary is being reworked so I would rather wait for the new version of the summary before adding anything.

Cheers,
  Javier

In something else I read you said it could be a bug it wasn't updating the web client. Is that still true?

Javier Amor Garcia

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 05:20:31 pm »
Yes, but the other bug was that it appears as n"never updated" if it appear as "outdated" and it requests a specific version it is working fine

Saturn2888

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2009, 09:41:03 pm »
Ooh ok. Yeah, my version is correct, but it states it's not updated. I do remember you saying it updates every night so I need not worry.

Javier Amor Garcia

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009, 01:20:34 pm »
No, in fact the update is tried each hour.

You can force the update executing the script /etc/corn.hourly/freshclam

Saturn2888

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 06:01:00 pm »
I think I found the issue:
-bash: /etc/corn.hourly/freshclam: No such file or directory

Oops. After fixing the spelling issue:
ERROR: Can't open /var/log/clamav/freshclam.log in append mode (check permissions!).
ERROR: Problem with internal logger (UpdateLogFile = /var/log/clamav/freshclam.log).
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 06:02:45 pm by Saturn2888 »