Author Topic: Is Zentyal dead?  (Read 6073 times)

decibel83

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Is Zentyal dead?
« on: September 14, 2016, 05:23:50 pm »
Hi,
Zentyal is a very good project, but it seems to be dead over the last few months.
The forum is rarely frequented, I don't see any new releases nor bugfixes on the tracker, and so on.
Is my impression real?
If not, please rassure us.
Thank you very much!
Bye

desperados

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
Re: Is Zentyal dead?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 10:56:34 am »
I've the same feeling
I hope I'm wrong

nontrivial

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 05:47:35 pm »
I recently explored some alternatives if Zentyal doesn't come out with a 16.04 based version in the next few months, but I would rather not switch if I don't have to. I actually went pretty far exploring IRedMail, and it looks like an excellent alternative if you are looking for just an open change mail server. But I have two SMB servers (DNS, DHCP, routing, firewall, samba), and I can't find any Ubuntu based solution that is better than Zentyal for that scenerio. Which is a little funny because they used to focus on that niche which had less competition, but have decided to focus more on being an exchange replacement the last couple years where there is a lot more competition. Around the same time they also started treating the open source community they depend on like poo, and I just hope those decisions haven't caught up with them.

dlacx

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 12:58:18 am »
Webserver fired, HTTP Proxy fired, the headline has changed from 'Linux Small Business Server' to 'Linux Email Server' and the worst: communication from Zentyal team equivalent to zero. What a pity.  :(
After all I only have one question: behind the curtain are there legal, financial or technical problems?

desperados

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 09:01:06 am »
I know these alternatives for domain server: clearos, univention and sme server, but I've never tried none

EDIT: in the zentyal tracker, last closed issues are in march 2016
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 10:20:10 am by desperados »

gabriel.gheorghiu@abt.ro

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 03:50:26 pm »
I know these alternatives for domain server: clearos, univention and sme server, but I've never tried none

EDIT: in the zentyal tracker, last closed issues are in march 2016

Hi,

Try NethServer. You will be impressed!

desperados

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 09:48:48 am »
I've written to a forum administrator, he answered to me (very gentle!) that they are working on the new Zentyal Server version (5.0, based on Ubuntu Server 16.04) to be released in October-November

Laurent Dinclaux

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
    • Gecka
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 06:55:55 am »
Good to know but is it true ?

Their Github has no activity, as the bug tracker, looks pretty dead to me ...
Laurent

uniq

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2016, 05:03:43 pm »
https://github.com/zentyal/zentyal/commits/xenial

you've to look at the right branch, last commit is 9 days ago. looking forward  :)

timroijers

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2016, 05:06:26 pm »
I've written to a forum administrator, he answered to me (very gentle!) that they are working on the new Zentyal Server version (5.0, based on Ubuntu Server 16.04) to be released in October-November

"Due to the issues found recently in the OpenChange (that offers native synchronization with MS Outlook clients via MAPI protocol), this functionality has been dropped until the issues have been fixed and the module has been stabilized. For the time being, Zentyal can be deployed as a IMAP-POP3 mail server".

So tell me again, why was i working with Zentyal?
oh that's right.... NATIVELY COMPATIBLE WITH OUTLOOK

First fix openchange plugin, then release Zentyal 5.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 05:19:10 pm by timroijers »

Syntax

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2016, 12:30:18 am »

"Due to the issues found recently in the OpenChange (that offers native synchronization with MS Outlook clients via MAPI protocol), this functionality has been dropped until the issues have been fixed and the module has been stabilized. For the time being, Zentyal can be deployed as a IMAP-POP3 mail server".

http://www.zentyal.org/2016/10/zentyal-5-0-roadmap-published/

I thought you were kidding.  You aren't.

So, we have a SAMBA / Postfix server now.  The only reason (really, the ONLY reason!) I was deploying Zentyal was to be an MS Exchange replacement. 

Time to spin up an OwnCloud container on the VM and figure out what it's going to take to migrate my clients' servers.

Thanks guys, this is going to be a hell of a lot of work and I'm probably not going to get to charge more than a pittance for this given I am the one who pushed my clients to your product in the first place.

desperados

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2016, 05:15:28 pm »
"Due to the issues found recently in the OpenChange"

I thought you were kidding.  You aren't.

So, we have a SAMBA / Postfix server now.  The only reason (really, the ONLY reason!) I was deploying Zentyal was to be an MS Exchange replacement.

which issues? is it possible that this is a temporary situation?

jclendineng

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2016, 02:02:22 am »
I mean, I used it as a dhcp server with samba so nothing changes here. I know other servers do it better but I have a personal affection for Ubuntu don't ask me why. I will add a way to check on the status of the zentyal 5 builds when I get home. They have a mostly working build but it's still missing some modules. But it does install mostly without error  :P

jclendineng

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2016, 03:01:34 am »
Open terminal:
# nano /etc/apt/sources.list

Scroll to bottom and add:

deb http://archive.zentyal.org/zentyal 5.0 main extras

Save

# apt-get install synaptic
# apt-get update
# synaptic

In synaptic search "zentyal" and there are all the items that are currently available, you can install zentyal-all or whatever they decide to call it and it will tell you what the unmet dependencies are, those are the missing modules from the build server.  If you check in every once and a while you can update the apt repo and it will show you the progress. 

EDIT: Dont do this if you arent very familiar with what this does.  Just a warning.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 03:04:10 am by jclendineng »

barnum

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2016, 06:55:07 pm »
Hi,

do you have made a fresh install on ubuntu 16.04  adding this repository ?

Regards,