Author Topic: Zentyal 4.0 outlook 2003/2010/2013 and smartphones sogo-activesync tests results  (Read 11211 times)

ITEA

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Hi everyone :)

I have installed zentyal 4.0 for testing purposes and there are two major things are broken...
active sync not installed and the mailbox inbox folder is not auto refreshing.

iphone ios 7.x - no activesync support out of the box i have installed the sogo-activesync package, edited apache config file under avalible-sites  , got iphone conected showing the contacts , calendars and even sent items but no inbox browsing or getting new emails..

I have read at the the sogo project website that activesync packages only partially support  some mobile phones and you need to have an older package for some smartphones which means there is no catch all version of sogo.. anyone gave z-push a try?

outlook 2003 - offline address book errors - I ticked off the sync address book from outlook and the registry key (failed again..)

outlook 2010 - same oab errors and inbox not refreshing (edited the account to send and receive every 1 minute)

outlook 2013 - sync errors:
16:49:07       1 item(s) updated in online folder
16:49:07       1 item(s) changed read-state in online folder
16:49:07 Error synchronizing folder
16:49:07        [0-0]
no oab erorrs here :)

general issues i have faced:
1. I got outlook connected only by setting up a public dns domain name exmple.com as the internal domain and virtual domain.
2. the web admin page won't refresh after installing first time components selection.(did manual refresh again to finish the installation)
3. out of office is not synced from outlook to the server .
4. cant set sharing permissions from the client.
5. cant share mail folders.

Have a nice day,
ITEA

ff8jake

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
I'm waiting for the homepage to update with the new download to give a fresh install a try. Here's hoping...

flecom

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
I installed the nightly about a week ago and everything seemed to work except I would have to manually refresh the folders in outlook 2010 (didn't try any devices, just sending via outlook to myself and the web mail)

installed the final today and I can't send mail at all... from myself to myself via outlook or the web mail, inbox is empty :(

valiovvv

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Auto refresh inbox not working on Zentyal 4. I was wondering whether Moderator or somebody from Zentyal Team is reading this forums. Despite all promises since 3.4 Shared calendar and auto refresh of inbox is still not working.   :(

dillstone

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
I'm not seeing it refresh on 2007 or 2010. Remember this was promised on 3.5 so I doubt its going to work on this one either. They just don't know how to do it and Microsoft isn't giving up all of their tech. This is the one piece that has been missing that would make it as advertised. I think they are just just hoping everyone is using activesync and won't need the refresh.

ITEA

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
I was waiting for zentyal 4.0 about 3 months just to be disappointed by it.
open exchange replacement don't native support outlook 2003/10/13 android and ios support.
outlook is really not implemented and active sync not working...

as a sysadmin i will stay with m$'s exchange online 365 or exchange 2013 and let the boss pay for an easy working integration.

bye until zentyal 5 or 6.

Have a great day,
ITEA

Robert Breunung

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Same experience here with Outlook 2010 and 2013. It simply did not sync reliably.

Zentyal-ActiveSync works with my iPhone. I did not see all folders and did get no Push notification. There seemed to be some advanced feature, an away message? It did not work.

Outlook 2013 worked well on IMAP also. With CFOS-Plugin Caldav and Carddav worked well. Still it would be second class citizen because of free/busy information.

Sincerely

mandarine

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
when deleting folders in SOGo-Webmail these changes don´t take affect in outlook. This ist not Small Business, but NO Business, maybe BETA.

So my advice is for Win users: Standalone Samba4 domain controlers from Sernet and additional Zarafa SMTP
or        Linux, IMAP. KOLAB wth Roundcubemail, or maybe Horde

Zentyal is a mix of free OpenSource Software with install and config - scripts included in a web gui. Maybe good for 5 simply users, far away from 20/50/100 and more.
The alternative ist ebay MS_Smallbusiness_2008 -2011 für 200-500€, where you get a stabile system für about 50 users.
I have tested Zentyal 3.x to 4 more than 10 times due to the advertisement -outlook exchange native Bla Bla>>> many times crashed the web gui during config, very relaible
Today there is Xenserver, Proxmox and so on, so there is no need to have one system with routing,x500,file,backup,groupware and others in one machine.

Maybe Version 7 or 8 will be an alternative to Zarafa, Zimbra, Exchange.

we will see

kissmaniac

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Is someone successed in synchronizing calendar with outlook between users ?

jonty

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
I too have no auto-refresh, sync errors in Outlook 2013, send/receive errors in Outlook 2003, and Android refuses to connect at all.  I was surprised to find that I had to install sogo-activesync manually.  The main thing our business needs is mailbox sharing and this is also absent.  It seems like we will be looking for the cheapest Exchange solution also...

flecom

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
installed 4.0.1 still no auto updating webmail or outlook, without automatic updating I'm afraid this is pretty useless for business... :(

was really excited for zentyal too :-\

Torsten73

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
I everything in getting 3.5 working with IOS / Android / Outlook2010 . It was horrible unstable. Sync and Mails only worked with empty configurations, after collecting mails (around 400MB) the trouble beginns.
For me it also shows with sogoactivsync, that often not all mails are shown on the ios 7/8 Devices. In webmailer they are all to be seen. And z-push don´t work anyway for the first setup for me. i can´t connect the mobile devices. This belongs only for used bigger mail accounts, an account with only some mails is working fine.
The same is with calendar sync. Sometimes its working, both most of the time not. I add an Event with IOS and it doesn´t appear in zentyal (and yes it was the user calendar!)   

Everything all of you wrote here i also noticed with 3.5. This is the first time i didn´t test the beta 4.0 and now after release its exactly happend what i and other of the community expected has happend again.
Another unfinished release! This has been announced as the best and stable release ever and in fact for this reason many modules has been dropped. But the major problem hasn´t been solved.
I am really frightned what happens when i try to use zentya with a one nic setup and an local and external domain. This zenario is borken since 3.x and i don´t expect it been working better in 4.0

So maybe a good advice for every one who tries to test it, you need to follow exactly the setup guide from zentyal.  So you need minimum 2 Lan and don´t configure you domains as local.testing.com and testing.com (virtual mail domain) instead of both identically like explained in wiki! This is something which can´t be reverted without loosing ldap database. This seems to be responsible for many problems i encounter in my setup (like i did on sbs2003).

https://wiki.zentyal.org/wiki/En/4.0/Installation#initial-configuration

Good look anyway
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 10:02:00 pm by Torsten73 »
--------------------------------------------------------------
Zentyal 3.5 (offline) unter Ubuntu12.04.3 YAVDR 0.5 als KVM Host
Action Pack Abo with a running Exc. 2013 :-)

mmekimia

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
So maybe a good advice for every one who tries to test it, you need to follow exactly the setup guide from zentyal.  So you need minimum 2 Lan and don´t configure you domains as local.testing.com and testing.com (virtual mail domain) instead of both identically like explained in wiki! This is something which can´t be reverted without loosing ldap database. This seems to be responsible for many problems i encounter in my setup (like i did on sbs2003).

https://wiki.zentyal.org/wiki/En/4.0/Installation#initial-configuration

Good look anyway

So you confirm that right now this will only work if DomainName = domain.com with a virtualhost for email domain.com and that would fail with subdmains ?

hoppa123

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
I havent been able to get any version of zentyal working stable with openchange. its just too buggy. I dont understand why they dont call it an alpha release. because it is simply not ready for being even a beta....

donb

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
installed 4.0.1 still no auto updating webmail or outlook, without automatic updating I'm afraid this is pretty useless for business... :(

was really excited for zentyal too :-\

I don't understand how this issue isn't on the top of their list... not having email flowing to outlook / mobile devices is a MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR dealbreaker........

It is my understanding that this is an issue with SOGO (that has been patched?) If so, how do we load the updated version of SOGO, considering the newest version of zentyal is a few (4-5) point releases behind