Author Topic: Zentyal 3.5 with latest updates roaming profiles dont work  (Read 4369 times)

RobinDaun

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Zentyal 3.5 with latest updates roaming profiles dont work
« on: July 10, 2014, 01:45:43 pm »
Hi all!

Just to say it i love Zentyal and Linux overall but after i upgraded my 3.5 beta or daily to the latest stable. I  got alot of issues with samba after a reinstallation of Users, Computers and File Sharing it works again. But not one thing i enabled roaming profiles and using the drive letter H: before the update i found a mount point on my user that had that mountpoint i cant find it now. Any ideas? Everything else works. Any help appriciated.

I am using the latest version of zentyal community edition on a standalone pc wich i use for 5 people at home connect trough a router with a static ip adress

Sincerly

Robin Daun

Sorry for bad typing seems i got issues with . and stuff
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 01:59:29 pm by RobinDaun »

shadowfire

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
Re: Zentyal 3.5 with latest updates roaming profiles dont work
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 04:32:07 pm »
my 3.5 beta or dialy to the latest stable it should be i got alot of issues with samba after a reinstallation of Users, Computers and File Sharing it works again but not one thing i enabled roaming profiles and using the drive letter H: before i found a mount point on my user that had logged in but that mountpoint i cant find now. Any ideas? Everything else works.

Like you RobinDaun, I am seeing the same issues with samba module (Users, Computers and File Sharing), I am also seeing an issue with roaming profiles and user drive h:  not working after a reinstall of the samba module.  I also have shares not working even though users have permissions or are apart of a group for that share (yet they are apart of other groups and those shares for those groups work fine).  Not sure yet what the solution is at this point, but I just noticed the devs put out a update of the samba module (Users, Computers and File Sharing) - so I am hoping that fixes the issue now.

If anyone has seen this issues before and know the fixes for it - Please help
Thanks,
-SF- 
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 06:30:06 pm by shadowfire »

RobinDaun

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 08:38:21 am »
I had the same issues as you with the shares but after an removal and then reinstall of the samba (Users, Computers and File Sharing) module it worked for me with the shares the roaming profiles is still bugged tough for me. I use the Users, Computers and File Sharing   3.5.2 version.

PS. But that does so the shares you have now dissapears. DS.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 08:40:47 am by RobinDaun »

RobinDaun

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 11:15:45 am »
So its only two of us who has this issue?

shadowfire

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 05:05:51 am »

I am not sure about use being the only two having problems with roaming profiles.  I found these other posts having some problem with roaming profiles (may not be the same - but they are or were having a problem with it)

PDC and roaming profiles problems
https://forum.zentyal.org/index.php/topic,16688.msg66136.html#msg66136

Samba Roaming Profile changes to default after restart of Service
https://forum.zentyal.org/index.php/topic,16568.msg65626.html#msg65626

(OLD) Zentyal 3.0 Roaming Profiles don't work
https://forum.zentyal.org/index.php/topic,12638.msg52221.html#msg52221

(OLD) Samba - windows 7 and roaming profiles
https://forum.zentyal.org/index.php/topic,12519.msg51742.html#msg51742

(OLD) Roaming profiles between Windows 7 machines and Ubuntu 10.04 or 10.10
https://forum.zentyal.org/index.php/topic,6566.msg26319.html#msg26319

(OLD) howto use %a makro in samba logon path / roaming profiles
https://forum.zentyal.org/index.php/topic,2211.msg9415.html#msg9415

(OLD) Roaming profiles with ubuntu 9.04 client and ebox server
https://forum.zentyal.org/index.php/topic,1815.msg7577.html#msg7577

Something seems to be up. I am trying to track it down.

Thanks,
-SF-

RobinDaun

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 01:03:00 pm »
So if its one of the things you show in your links why hasnt the issue been there before and shadowfire is any of those you linked too Zentyal 3.5 related?

EDIT. I also saw that when i take one user away from Users and computers ->> manage they dont dissapeare in the /home/ folder on the server.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 01:04:56 pm by RobinDaun »

StuartNaylor

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 01:23:25 pm »
Its an awkward one that and when you delete a user there should be a tick box to delete users files.

It needs some sort of confirmation and the way it is at the moment they are just left.

Guess its up to the sysadmin to tidy up.

Zentyal file sharing is Samba4 and on vanilla ubuntu and samba4 I have had folder redirection and home folders working fine.

Only problems I ever had where due to the initial permissions.

Haven't set them up with 3.5 yet.

Would be good if someone could check if they are correct as the links are from the samba site apart from folder redirection.

RobinDaun

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 02:22:13 pm »
If you try it please tell me if it works for you or if i need to reinstall it all with a clean install.

shadowfire

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 09:30:34 pm »
So I think I have figured parts of it out.  I have had different issues with the samba and roaming profiles half of Zentyal 3.5.  First part I had to reinstall Samba module (Users,Computers and File Sharing module).   Then I had to make sure my computers had no residual JUNK from previous servers (Windows/Mac/Linux SMB).  Remove clients from domian.  Then rejoin them back to the domain.  Then I had to recreate my Groups, Users, Shares and Printers on my Zentyal 3.5 server.  If any hickups survived with users I have deleted them and recreated them on the Zentyal side.

So far everything is back to normal - save the users network directory on H:\  Some users show it... but when you try to access it you get "Location is not availible" windows that says "H:\  is not accessable and Access denied".  But I have check permissions and I have check to make sure the Drive Letter say H:. - no dice.   Then I have another user that I deleted and recreated that has no H: user network directory.  I am at a loss. 

The good thing about this all is that I am getting a crash course in Zentyal 3.5 and its underlining workings, bad part is it doesn't fit my schedule.  No worries we are getting there.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

-SF-
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 09:34:17 pm by shadowfire »

StuartNaylor

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 12:30:47 am »
The H: drive where you deleted a user and recreated the user must be permissions.

I only say this as the homedrive isn't deleted when you delete a user so it probably is there with the previous users permissions.

I know you checked but all this does sound very permission based.

RobinDaun

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 11:00:36 am »
Okey dont understand it but after i updated this morning to the latest kernel and rebooted. Woila now the H: works cant tell you why but its there mabey i had missed doing a reboot or something. Dont want to make this a solved thread cause i dont know what solved it.

RobinDaun

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2014, 01:11:27 pm »
After ive updated iam back again on the same spot no h: very very anyoing. Iam using Users, Computers and File Sharing   v 3.5.6 anyone why does this keep happening? i have even created a new user but same as with the others and if i try to login they windows say a temp profile is used.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 01:17:41 pm by RobinDaun »

RobinDaun

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2014, 01:57:59 pm »
Okey so i rremoved and then reinstalled the Users, Computers and File Sharing v 3.5.6 module and now it works but i had to create new users. And that is something i dont want todo each time cause then i have to move all files manually. But now i get that i logged in with a temporary profile instead so iam getting crazy :P

RobinDaun

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2014, 11:58:17 am »
Okey i found the issue for me it was that i had two profiles under /home/samba/profiles/ one with just the user.name and one with .V2 after i deleted the with only the user.name since those where empty and voila both the h:user.name shows up and the profiles logs in correct hope that helps anyone. All the files still exists in the user.name folder tough. I even tried to delete the .V2 in profiles it still have the files in the home/user.name/. Cause thats just the settings for the profile enough rammbeling i love to learn something new :)
As i do everyday with Zentyal.