Author Topic: how many users can ebox handle?  (Read 1551 times)

cheesyking

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
how many users can ebox handle?
« on: September 25, 2009, 04:13:10 pm »
I guess it must depend a lot on which parts of ebox are being used?

Well here's my situation.

I've got a lot of people I will have to give basic computing to... about 3000 in fact, but since there will only be 100 (max) workstations available they won't all be online at once!

By "basic computing" what I'm talking about is just web browsing and word processing. The server will have to do gateway/proxy/dhcp and possibly file server tasks too, though I might just make them save everything to thumb drives and their quotas would be VERY small if I did.

There will NOT be any mail, webserver, groupware, jabber, VPNs etc.

I'm salivating at the idea of using ebox-desktop for all the workstations, but I guess it's a little to early for that yet so I'll probably start out with standalone workstations running guest accounts.

The eventual plan eventual plan is for each user to be able to login to any of the workstations and get on a the net through an authenticated proxy. There are some ridiculous "anti-terror" laws planned that could force the logging of all websites visited by our users. Right or wrong I need to be in a position to put something like this in place in the future.  ::)

Presumably with the cheap and powerful hardware available these days this should be possible from this point of view, but what about the management side? I was thinking of maybe some greasemonky scripts to automate user management.

Any comments on this? I might even consider buying support (though I've no idea on cost and this decision is driven almost entirely by price I'm afraid)

BTW in case you're wondering it's for a medical training college to provide library computers to it's UK students... the current requirement is for nowhere near 3000 users but that's the figure it's expected to reach in a year or so.