Author Topic: Zentyal Dynamic DNS: IP shows up correct in remote.zentyal.com but doesn't work  (Read 2968 times)

ray-ven

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Hello Forum,
I'm working on Zentyal 3.2 with owncloud 5 installed but cannot reach https://hostname.zentyal.me/owncloud but via IP. (Yes, I've registered to zentyal)
The thing is, in remote.zentyal.com the IP is shown correct.

Sometimes, when I restart some services (unregister/register) I can use https://hostname.zentyal.me/owncloud for a while, but it's blocked again after a short while.

I'm really lost with this!

Thank you
Ray

ray-ven

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
just want to add that i changed the https port for zentyal administrative console to 444 to have owncloud on 443. Webserver is activated with ssl, 443 TCP is forwarded to zentyal server, in zentyal https is activated from internet to zentyal

christian

The thing is, in remote.zentyal.com the IP is shown correct.

Sometimes, when I restart some services (unregister/register) I can use https://hostname.zentyal.me/owncloud for a while, but it's blocked again after a short while.

Strange indeed. Could you please elaborate on what "but it's blocked again" means. Any error message or behaviour you could explain better than "blocked" ?

If I understand well (I'm not using such service), you are using Zentyal dynamic DNS service and face some intermittent error. (server not found ? 404 HTTP error ? time-out ?)
I also suppose it occurs when accessing from internet but this deserves some clarification in order to ease investigation.

Can you confirm such error also occurs when not accessing OwnCloud (to me, if this is DNS related, this should impact all URLs to your site but it's worth to confirm).

There are some tools available on internet aiming to check DNS content propagation. You could perhaps use it and check.

The intermittent aspect of the error is not surprising if this is due to DNS propagation: misalignment in DNS content linked to round-robin mechanism will generate this kind of intermittent error. Then the real question is "why would DNS content not be aligned everywhere ?"
This I don't know. I'm not using such service  :-[   so I can only suggest some investigation tracks  ;)

ray-ven

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Thank you very much for helping!!

well, its not blocked but the page cannot be found. It worked this morning quite a while, but not anymore. I really don't get this. I even tried another ddns service - but same issue. It must be something on my server I think! But don't know what :(
I tried other subdomains to which don't have to do with owncloud - same issue

please help me out

robb

How do you have DNS implemented on your Zentyal server?
Note there are 2 different DNS sections:
Core / Network / DNS -> sets DNS servers for Zentyal as client
Infra / DNS -> settings for Zentyal as a DNS server for you clients.

Can you post for both the settings?

Escorpiom

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Souds similar to the issue I'm having.
Zentyal.me does not resolve at this moment. It did work two days ago.

Cheers.
Marcus' Rule:
Blanks & capitals = avoid it and you'll avoid problems...

christian

I suspect there is something wrong with DNS propagation.
you can check it using this kind of tool.

Escorpiom

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Awesome tool.
All servers resolved just fine, except one in the UK.
Back to the server, there seems to be nothing wrong with the Zentyal.me domain.

Cheers.
Marcus' Rule:
Blanks & capitals = avoid it and you'll avoid problems...

christian

Next time your facing similar issue, have a look there again.

I don't know how zentyal.me works but they should perhaps look at TTL fine tuning for this kind of service?
Or there is also, potential error source, some side effect with cache in the middle  ;)

robb

Or there is also, potential error source, some side effect with cache in the middle  ;)

* robb suspects this is a winner...

ray-ven

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
ok, im fiddling around with this for days now!

whatsmydns.net is a nice thing, but still it doesn't explain why my site is visible for a few secs after restarting a few services.

The point I'm looking at is DNS in Infrastructure on my server.
there is mydomain.zentyal.me, it points to my servers local IP Address (domain ip, and computer ip). So from within my network the dns translation works quite well.
DNS in Network isn't the problem IMHO because there are enough dns servers which are working.

This is really killing me

ray-ven

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
checked with whatsmydns. Most servers can't find it. What can I do to speed this up?

christian

DNS as set in Zentyal/network section describes DNS Zentyal will use as "client", like you set up (or inherit from DHCP) DNS setting on your workstation.

My understanding is that you face error with external clients trying to reach your Zentyal server using FQDN handled by zentyal.me isn't it?

ray-ven

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
true - but i was asked to tell settings in both DNS Sections.
For me it looks like remote.zentyal.me isn't doing his job well :(
im testing freedns.afraid.org now at the same time, and the adresses get translated faster (looking with whatsmydns.org)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 06:18:04 pm by ray-ven »

christian

As I wrote above, one important point is to understand how this "zentyal.me" service works, this covers TTL aspects too.
Another point is also to look at cache effects.

This said, as I'm not using it, I can't help further. Sorry  :-[