Author Topic: Installation of USB Printer  (Read 3749 times)

Jonas Norström

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Installation of USB Printer
« on: February 13, 2008, 03:22:58 pm »
Hi!

Installed my first eBox yesterday and I am not trying to configure it. Currently I am stuck on a printer installation:

Printer: Brother HL-1250 attached via USB

Code: [Select]
ebox:/etc/cups# lsusb
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 04f9:0007 Brother Industries, Ltd HL-1250 Laser Printer
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 046d:c03d Logitech, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

How does this map to the ten alternative USB devices usb0 - usb10 in "Add Printer -> Local USB printer configuration" in the eBox web configuration interface?

I have not been able to find any more detailed information on how this works, any help or pointers would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

.jonas

stif

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Installation of USB Printer
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 05:31:58 pm »
same problem here...
anyone knows how to map usb0-usb10?

cheers,
stif

normanp

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 11:58:35 am »
There must be a non-newbie who can answer this - is anybody awake out there???
WHat is the meaning of the usb drop-down? How does this relate to the physical usb ports?

VaineDragon

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Den
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 06:19:18 pm »
Don't feel bad I have made numerous attempt to get that answer from the forums and the IRC Chat, no luck so far. I have yet to get the Printer Server to work with eBox 1.2

I posted the same type of issue more than a month ago and no answers yet.

“ If you look into the eye of the storm, and see nothing, Well I guess you better step aside, thus is the truth of your lack of reason. ”

Javier Amor Garcia

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 04:46:39 pm »
Sorry for the delay...

Take a look to your /dev/usb directory, the device file for your printer should be tipically called lpX (as in lp0, lp1, etc). Use the X number to choose which USB device to select when configuring the printer in eBox

VaineDragon

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Den
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 09:32:09 pm »
Tried that also, my HP Office Jet Pro L7580 is on USB 2. I made sure I configured that and still I can't print from any Windows machines or LINUX either?
Just keep getting this error from Print Queue in the eBox UI.

"An internal error related to a template has occurred. This is a bug, relevant information can be found in the logs."

I configured the Logs in the eBox UI and nothing shows up?
“ If you look into the eye of the storm, and see nothing, Well I guess you better step aside, thus is the truth of your lack of reason. ”

SamK

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 11:05:31 pm »
An internal error related to a template has occurred. This is a bug, relevant information can be found in the logs.

I'm not sure whether this will give any further clues, but it might help.  From the official documentation for 1.2
Reports of events and possible errors of eBox are stored in the directory /var/log/ebox/  and are divided in the following files:

/var/log/ebox/ebox.log:  Errors related to eBox Platform.
/var/log/ebox/error.log:  Errors related to the web server.
/var/log/ebox/access.log:  Every access to the web server.

If you want more information about an error that has occurred, you can enable the debugging mode by selecting the debug option in the /etc/ebox/99ebox.conf  file.  Once you have enabled this option, you should restart the web server of the interface by using sudo /etc/init.d/ebox apache restart.

lvperlo

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 12:24:25 pm »
Just keep getting this error from Print Queue in the eBox UI.

"An internal error related to a template has occurred. This is a bug, relevant information can be found in the logs."

I configured the Logs in the eBox UI and nothing shows up?

I have tried installing an ML-1520 printer to USB-0 (at least, that's what /dev/usb shows) and have the same problem. I cannot print and the "Jobs Queue" page shows:

Apparently there's a bug in ebox 1.2.
I don't know if this bug also prevents me from printing. At least, I cannot get it to work.

Regards,
Leon

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • http://blogs.zentyal.org/jacalvo
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 12:44:03 pm »
Please edit the /etc/ebox/99ebox.conf and change "debug = no" to "debug = yes" to see if that gives more information with the error you are getting.

Also make sure that you have the printers module enabled. I suppose you have, but sometimes it's usual to forget that kind of things.

Regards,

J. A. Calvo
Zentyal Server Lead Developer

lvperlo

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 01:04:08 pm »
Hi J.A,

/etc/ebox/99ebox.conf "debug" changed to "yes"
Do I need to restart something to take it into effect?

The "Printer Sharing" module is installed and enabled. I suppose that's the correct one?

Where can I find the "debug information"

Leon

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • http://blogs.zentyal.org/jacalvo
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 03:18:52 pm »
Yes, you have to restart the apache module (/etc/init.d/ebox apache restart) and then reproduce the error and you'll probably get a more descriptive one that you can paste here. And yes, that's the correct module.

Regards,

J. A. Calvo
Zentyal Server Lead Developer

lvperlo

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 07:52:47 pm »
I have removed the printer and re-installed it.
Then the printer management Jobs-Queue page is normal.
As soon as I print a test-page from a windows machine and reload the Jobs-Queue page, it shows the error, and the error does not disappear, even not after restarting the ebox server.

I don't know in which log to look, but in /var/log/ebox/error.log I find a truckload of messages generated today. The following lines occur:

"
[Mon Sep 07 09:50:10 2009] [error] server reached MaxClients setting, consider raising the MaxClients setting
Use of uninitialized value in length at (eval 102) line 49.
[Mon Sep 07 09:50:12 2009] [error] [client 192.168.0.20] File does not exist: /usr/share/ebox/www/favicon.ico
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/share/perl5/EBox/Menu/Separator.pm line 44.
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/share/perl5/HTML/Mason/Tools.pm line 114.
Use of uninitialized value in string eq at /usr/share/perl5/EBox/Printers.pm line 813.
Use of uninitialized value in string eq at /usr/share/perl5/EBox/Printers.pm line 421.
Use of uninitialized value in numeric eq (==) at /usr/share/perl5/Foomatic/DB.pm line 74.
Use of uninitialized value in string ne at /usr/share/perl5/EBox/Menu/Root.pm line 51.
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/share/perl5/HTML/Mason/Component/Subcomponent.pm line 34.
Use of uninitialized value in join or string at /usr/share/ebox/templates/ajax/modelViewer.mas line 170.
Use of uninitialized value in numeric lt (<) at /usr/share/ebox/templates/ajax/setter/textSetter.mas line 11.
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/share/perl5/EBox/Types/HasMany.pm line 246.
Use of uninitialized value in string ne at (eval 3238) line 158.
"

Note 192.168.0.20 is the (XP) machine I try to print from and which has the e-box management interface open.

Kind regards,
Leon

sixstone

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • Sixstone's blog
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 11:12:27 am »
The template error must be shown in the web page. If it does not, then try to look at /var/log/ebox/error.log. The pasted info is not useful though :(.

Anyway, thanks very much for your feedback, it's really appreciated.
My secret is my silence...

VaineDragon

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Den
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 03:46:19 pm »
I guess I'm missing something, due to the fact that I have done the same procedure as described above. Restarted the Apache and the server, and as previously mentioned I configured the eBox Logs and still I have no further information on this issue. PRINTING is a major part of what this server is supposed to do for this office.

VaineDragon

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Den
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 04:48:59 pm »
Well here I stand, I added the printer AGAIN via the eBox UI as HP7500ojp when I connect to that printer Windows Vista x64 will not print and I get the same error?

But I noticed that when I go to the Printers section of the user preferences I also have Officejet_Pro_L7500 which I can print to (all though it take 5 minutes to print a small text test) also I can print a Windows test page.

Now the logs reflect the printer Officejet_Pro_L7500 has properly printed. But I still can't add this printer as my Default printer in Vista?

I'm not sure were or how to proceed?