Author Topic: Installation of USB Printer  (Read 3750 times)

lvperlo

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Installation of USB Printer
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2009, 08:15:21 pm »
The template error must be shown in the web page. If it does not, then try to look at /var/log/ebox/error.log. The pasted info is not useful though :(.

Maybe it must, but the printer log is empty and the /var/log/ebox/error.log does not show anything (else) relevant, as far as I can see. The /var/log/ebox/ebox.log also shows an extensive amount of messages and warnings that make no sense to me at all.

The fact that I installed straightforward from scratch using the ebox 1.2 iso image and I run into these kind of problems with, as Vaine writes, something "which is a major part of what a server is supposed to do for an office", does not give me the confidence yet that this is a stable product release to be used for production. Should we go back to 1.0? Or is there a 1.1?

Maybe I did something wrong during installation or setup. I'd like to read what it may be and what I can do to verify this.

Kind regards,
Leon

VaineDragon

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Den
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2009, 05:08:51 pm »
I guess this inability to Print with eBox is NOT a priority based on the lack of response to this issue?

As I have previously stated Printing is a major part of the server in the office environment, This issue has been on the Forums and IRC for the past 6 weeks.

I have tried all solutions that have been put forth to no avail.

What's the deal does this issue not matter??????

“ If you look into the eye of the storm, and see nothing, Well I guess you better step aside, thus is the truth of your lack of reason. ”

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • http://blogs.zentyal.org/jacalvo
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2009, 05:36:48 pm »
You have to realize that if you don't get response on this issue is because the people that read it don't know how to help you, maybe the people that might know how to help you are too busy with another things. I also agree with you that printing is a very important thing for an office server, but we can't do magic to fix it. I suppose there are a lot of people using printers with eBox without problem, I personally don't know how to help you, so the only thing we can do is to wait for the answer of someone more experienced with printers.

Regards,

J. A. Calvo
Zentyal Server Lead Developer

normanp

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2010, 01:56:02 pm »
I know this is late but this is how I solved the problem in eBox 1.2:
I couldn't get eBox to do this so resorted to CUPS.
Procedure here is for HP LaserJet 1010 using the CUPS web interface on the server:

Connect to a USB port & power up printer then on server:
w3m http://localhost:631/admin
On the Administration page select Find New Printers
See hp LaserJet 1010 (HP LaserJet 1010 USB #1),  and note this line down *
Do not continue to add this printer, just return to the Administration page.
In eBox UI:
Printers, Add Printer, usb1 (number as in the line * above)  for HP,  LaserJet 1010, named myHP, A4, Save.
CUPS interface again on server:
w3m http://localhost:631/admin again, Administration:
Manage Printers, scroll down to myHP and Modify Printer: now change settings for a selection from the drop down for Device: hp LaserJet 1010 (HP LaserJet 1010 USB #1), Continue, Modify Printer, Print a test page.
In eBox UI, create a user eg Username & Full name: xxx, password: yyy, & assign printer myHP to the user, Change, Save.
Then from an XP workstation:
Use Windows Explorer, browse to the EBox server, supply username: xxx, password: yyy
Browse to the printer, R Mouse, Connect, choose a suitable driver eg HP LaserJet 1100 (MS)
Test print from eg WordPad.

Maybe this could help somebody?  ???