Author Topic: Printer Problems - Stuck in queue  (Read 1858 times)

atjensen11

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Printer Problems - Stuck in queue
« on: February 11, 2009, 03:21:15 am »
Perhaps I am trying to push things too far.  I have a Xen host with an Ubuntu Hardy DomU.  On that Hardy DomU, I have eBox installed.

Ultimately, I want eBox to manage my file & print server.  File server is working great.  It was so much easier to configure than a straight up Samba setup.  However, I am having issues with the printer.

The printer is an HP 5150 with a USB interface.  The printer is plugged into the Dom0 Xen host and passed to the eBox DomU through the pciback.hide option.  So I do see the USB controllers on the DomU when issuing an lspci command and the printer is shown when issuing an lsusb command.  Furthermore, I see the printer node in /dev/bus/usb directory.

The Add Printer utility works fine in eBox and I am able to see the printer share after the fact from a networked Windows client.  However, when prints are sent to the printer, they remain in the queue and are never printed.

When I try to view the job queue in eBox, I get an error saying a bug has been encountered and that more information can be found in the logs.  However, the logs appear to be empty within eBox.

javi

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Printer Problems - Stuck in queue
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 01:19:24 pm »
Hi,

There's an easy method to discard it's an eBox issue. You can just remove the ebox-printers package and try configure the printer directly with CUPS...

atjensen11

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Printer Problems - Stuck in queue
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 06:59:00 pm »
Are you saying that I should setup the printer completely through CUPS or that I should simply check the checkbox in eBox that allows standalone CUPS?

With the checkbox checked, I can access CUPS through port 631 on the machine.  I am able to do some basic management through CUPS, but for more advanced management I routinely get a 403 Forbidden page.

Before using eBox, I manually configured a machine to run Samba and CUPS which worked fine for me.  With the exception of wanting to also run a VPN server, eBox doesn't appear to be saving me any effort if I have to pull out the printer from eBox and set it up manually.

The uncertainty I had was whether the issue I had was related to Xen and the USB passthrough or an actual printer problem.  After several postings on the Xen user lists, the consensus appears that USB passthrough is working correctly since the printer shows up on the DomU through lpinfo, lsusb and lspci.  The Xen User mailing list suggested looking at CUPS/eBox.