Author Topic: 2.0 to 2.2 - Third-party modules  (Read 2495 times)

ymangolds

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
2.0 to 2.2 - Third-party modules
« on: January 14, 2012, 07:34:33 am »
In the notes for the 2.0 to 2.2 migration tool it says:
Third-party or unofficial modules

* If you have any non-official modules installed, you have to purge them before starting the migration process.
    * You'll be able to install them again after the migration process is completed.
Does this include things like a SVN server? One of my Zentyal boxes has a bunch of non zentyal things on it like a SVN server, 2 different render management dispatchers, synergy, openfire jabber server, mumble server, MySQL server, and probably a few others I've forgotten about. If these all need purged prior to the migration, is there some kind of way to get a list of everything that's on there that I've forgotten about to make sure that I get rid of it all? Which would be a good thing to get rid of things I've tried and played with but never ended up using.  Some things like the render dispatch servers and synergy weren't simple "apt-get install" things and needed customization to make them start at boot time (which was so long ago that I forget exactly how I did it and which things needed it). Exporting the zentyal config, reformatting the machine then restoring it before migrating would solve this (would doing this restore things like users for the PDC and/or their profiles?), but things like the SVN and MySQL need to end up in the exact same state they're in currently (which I have no idea how to do that).

Also, the notes say
We strongly recommend you, if possible, to try this first on a test machine (a VM for example) restoring the configuration backup of your production server, or even better if you can clone an image of the whole disk.

??? Could someone point me to somewhere that explains how to do the clone the whole disk thing?

Muchos gracias  ;D

exekias

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Big Bug Theory
Re: 2.0 to 2.2 - Third-party modules
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 12:40:30 pm »
Hi ymangolds,

The note only applies to zentyal modules (if you made one by yourself). Migration script shouldn't make any change on services not managed by zentyal. The only related thing that it does is an "apt-get upgrade", so it should be safe for your setup.

Anyway, as you mention, is a good idea to try first on a testing environment, if you want to clone your installation you can try some cloning tool like http://clonezilla.org/

Best regards

ymangolds

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 03:27:00 am »
Thanks, I'm very relieved that this will be much simpler then I feared it was going to be, though I def plan on doing as much testing as I can on this server before migrating. I've migrated 2 servers so far, the first one failed 1/2 way due to some kind of issue with the antivirus module but it was just a simple router box so I started that one in 2.2 from scratch which was probably for the best anyway to clean the firewall rules and services. The second one migrated smoothly without a hitch which I'm extremely grateful for since that one was a data/PDC server that would of sucked to remake. This third one I'm about to migrate is the main server in another location that handles all zentyal modules in addition to a slew of other things critical to my business  :-\

bbking

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 02:50:44 pm »
I'm in the same situation right now. I had to pull one of my disks out of the software RAID1 config to have a full raid setup in the new server. That means, I somehow have to make sure, I have a copy of my whole system, before I start the upgrade....I'll probably will invest in another HDD and make it a full RAID1 system again, before I try upgrading.

Especially I am worried about the Zarafa upgrade.....any hints on this (I saw the this post, but Zentyal 2.2.1 comes with 7.0.3)?

robb

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 07:39:36 pm »
Zentyal 2.2 supports both Zarafa 6.4 and 7.0
When you do a clean install with the Zentyal ISO, you get Zarafa 7.0. When you upgrade from Zentyal 2.0 the upgrade script leaves Zarafa at 6.4

btw, I fully second the suggestion of exekias to use clonezilla. It is very easy to use and you can revert to your original system within 5 minutes.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 07:41:20 pm by robb »

half_life

• Bug Hunter
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 12:42:25 am »
I have found Redo to be much more user friendly http://redobackup.org/download.php while achieving the same thing clonezilla does.

bbking

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 02:33:27 pm »
I did it with a second HDD, just to have a desaster recovery experience. Worked quite well with adding a new disk to the RAID1 array.
I used the howto from here (it's in german, though)