Author Topic: Could not install on T41 Laptop due to Kernel dependency (bootup message)  (Read 1797 times)

Ptarmigan

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Dear list,

I downloaded the custom distribution of EBox (based on Hardy) as a complete bootable CD as I wanted to install without putting first a base Ubuntu and then adding packages.

When I started the install all seemed to go well.  I finished the first stage of the install from CD-ROM, ejected the CD, as asked, and rebooted the machine.  When it tried to boot from the HDD, I went through GRUB ok and then immediaterly received an error similar to below:

"Can not boot; kernel version is incorrect, error 0:6"

Did anybody else have a similar problem and found a resolution?

I was using an IBM T41 laptop.  Now I´m going to install Hardy LTS Server Base and then packages independently, but it is not my preferred choice.

Best regards,
Jon

Ptarmigan

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Hi all,

Reoplying to my own post here, rather than deleting it, for the benefit of others.  What I found from some more digging is that this is an Ubuntu Server issue, not Hardy specific.  If you are installing on a virtual machine there is a workarouind here http://blog.networkfoo.org/?p=170 :

<snip>
To fix I did the following:

Shutdown the VM.
Open the settings on the VM through the Sun xVM VirtualBox manager
General -> Advanced -> check Enable PAE/NX
Start your VM
Alternatively, with Ubuntu, you should be running the virtual kernel. Install server as normal, then before rebooting hit alt-f2 to get a shell. Run “chroot /target”. Then “apt-get install linux-virtual”. You could also do the same by booting for the install CD and selecting the option to repair the install and running apt-get from there.
<snip>

If, like me, you are installing as a "real" install it seems there is no workaround, although maybe you might get lucky with some BIOS settings.  Basically I´m going to install Ubuntu Desktop version instead and then try again.

Best regards,
jon

sixstone

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • Sixstone's blog
Don't forget to remove network-manager from your installation since it may clash with eBox network module.

Anyway, thanks very much for sharing your issues here.
My secret is my silence...