Author Topic: [SOLVED] User home drive inaccessable but shares work great  (Read 2564 times)

hejsan

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
[SOLVED] User home drive inaccessable but shares work great
« on: September 21, 2011, 02:44:27 am »
New to Zentyal and Ubuntu (some Debian and plenty of AD Admin) so please bear with me...

File Sharing is configured to use H: as home drive for users and some shares for various groups.

On a WinXP Pro box, successfully joining domain and logging on domain users. No H: drive is mapped but I can see it browsing the network under the zentyal samba server along with the shares for groups. I can access the groups the user has access to, and read/write to them, but when I try the [username] folder I am prompted for username and password which fails (same thing with unauthorized shares as I would expect).

Not sure if any of the following sheds any light: I did struggle with LDAP Master/Slave and had to do a couple of 'ebox-usersandgroups-renistall's and 'ebox-unconfigure-module samba's earlier. Installed both servers with 2.0.4 32 bit from CD. Slave is intended to be a do-it-all box with a Master dedicated mostly to LDAP (no samba-related services). I hope I didn't make a bad decision to go with 'company.com' domain name instead of 'company' domain name? If this has been discussed, I'm sorry but I couldn't find it. Thanks for any ideas.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 05:48:14 am by hejsan »

hejsan

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: User home drive inaccessable but shares work great
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 05:53:30 am »
Still trying to solve this. Hoping to at least get some nudges in the right direction?

After a couple reinstalls, my problem doesn't seem to be domain name related as I wondered initially (still same issue as 'company' instead of 'company'.com).

I'm now wondering if the howto http://trac.zentyal.org/wiki/Documentation/Community/HowTo/EBoxMasterSlaveSetup still applies to the current release? If so, it dawned on me that I may have misunderstood the part: Note: If you are using the Zentyal installer on CD-ROM you don't have to care about the installation instructions and you can skip directly to the configuration section. which I took to mean continue after the Module Configuration in the Master Zentyal
heading which skips deleting the apparmor package (likewise with samba portion under slave). (I think I figured the CD install did this behind the scenes but after retracing all installation steps I confirmed it was indeed present). I did successfully do these after the fact but still no joy. I am about to try yet another reinstall but hoped someone could tell me if I'm on the right path or if the symptoms suggest another direction. I feel I am wasting time I don't have with my other responsibilities. I hate to give up now feeling I am so near with a very promising small business server system.

hejsan

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: User home drive inaccessable but shares work great
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 10:50:27 pm »
Finding other unanswered posts relating to home directory problems, I think I found the problem and a workaround.

Apparently (perhaps only under a Master/Slave scenario?), after LDAP master is populated and then slave is synced and then file sharing is enabled, users are created and user profile (for roaming profiles) are created under /home/samba/profiles/[username] and ./[username.V2] BUT no user directory is created under /home/. I was fooled into thinking one of the previously mentioned profile directories was supposed to be the users home.

Looking at log and conf files confirmed there were supposed to be directories created under /home/. When I create the appropriately name directory and changed ownership and permissions, everything is working as it should.

Since this is a workaround to an apparent bug(?), and not a solution per-se, I am renaming the thread "... [BUG? - WORKAROUND]. If I am wrong in this assessment, please let me know how it is not a bug and what I may have done wrong.

Thanks,
David

robb

Re: User home drive inaccessable but shares work great [BUG? - WORKAROUND]
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 12:14:04 am »
Thanks Hejsan for your effort. I will point some devs to your posts :)

In the meantime, can you file a bugreport in TRAC?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 12:15:52 am by robb »

hejsan

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: User home drive inaccessable but shares work great [BUG? - WORKAROUND]
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 01:48:37 am »
Thanks Robb, ticket is at http://trac.zentyal.org/ticket/3408

hejsan

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: User home drive inaccessable but shares work great [SOLVED]
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 08:42:38 pm »
Doh!  :-[

Had my nose so deep in my issues the last few weeks that I failed to notice that there was a new stable version. Apparently my issue was fixed in 2.1.13 and later (and beta or rc was not an option since this will be production). Used migration tool 2.0 -> 2.2 and things seem to be working well. Added a new user on master and in moments it had a new home drive on slave/file server that correctly mounted as h: on login.

Thanks Robb and all the Zentyal developers,

David