Author Topic: [SOLVED]: Cannot Reach Admin Interface  (Read 2921 times)

kismetgerald

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
[SOLVED]: Cannot Reach Admin Interface
« on: August 19, 2011, 03:19:50 am »
Hello Guys,

I'm totally new to the Ubuntu/Linux environment and I just installed Zentyal 2.0 today.  I'm working on a HP/Compaq ProLiant ML310 G1 Server with Ubuntu Server 10.04 installed.

This is what I was doing:
I had just managed to finish the installation and configuration process.  Zentyal saved its settings then I rebooted the machine.  After reboot, I entered the interfaces section and changed eth1 from dynamic to static and assigned an ip address.  I then hit the "Save Changes" button in the top-right corner, and that's where I believe the problem started.

The saving process stalled on the 11th or 12 processes which I believe was the "Firewall" settings.  I think Zentyal was trying to save the new IP for the second interface to the firewall settings when the system hung.  So I was forced hit F5 to refresh the browser - and that's when I lost connection to the server.  From this point on all pings to both interfaces are unsuccessful.

HERE'S WHAT I'VE TRIED:

sudo /etc/int.d/ebox firewall stop

I've tried using that command to stop the firewall - thinking that's what's blocking all connections to the server

Beyond this, I don't what else to do.  I've tried searching the forum but can't find any solutions.  I saw one post here http://forum.zentyal.org/index.php/topic,7082.0.html and it's marked as solved, but I don't see anything information in there that'll help my situation.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

-Kismet
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 04:56:54 pm by kismetgerald »

kismetgerald

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot Reach Admin Interface
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 04:56:15 pm »
I guess nobody on here wanted to touch this topic.  Anyway, I ended up reinstalling Ubuntu 10.04 Server and reinstalling Zentyal 2.0.

robb

Re: [SOLVED]: Cannot Reach Admin Interface
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 07:49:26 pm »
First: IMO you are a bit too hasty in saying that noone wants to 'touch' this topic. Complaining that you don't get a reply within 12 hours?  ??? :o  :-X

Can you point pout your situation a bit? There can be some circumstances that you are locked out of the zentyal admin page, like for isntance when you are on a remote location and you forgot to allow ebox_administration in your firewall from external networks to zentyal.

2nd question I have: why do you install zentyal on top of an ubuntu server install and not use the zentyal install cd?

This all for future reference, since you decided to reinstall from scratch.

Marcus

• Forum Moderator
  • Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
    • Professional IT Service
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 05:36:47 pm »
Hello kismetgerald,

I suspect your problem more to be a network misconfiguration.  But still, like robb said, more info would greatly help in solving the case.

Marcus

kismetgerald

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 03:47:18 am »
Robb and Marcus,

Sorry for seeming "hasty" 

I guess as a newbie to Linux I was expecting that there would be people online who were always ready to spit back and answer - guess that's not quite true.  I'm not upset or anything, so please don't take it that way.

I did manage to reinstall from the CD and everything's working fine now - except that everytime I try to start the DHCP module it fails telling me about some uninitialized value.  I manage a network with two subnets connected via site-to-site VPN and I'm having a hard time getting the PCs on the other subnet to find the Primary Domain Controller.

Anyway, so I'm working on that at the moment.

Thanks.

c4rdinal

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 05:04:19 am »
Robb and Marcus,

Sorry for seeming "hasty" 

I guess as a newbie to Linux I was expecting that there would be people online who were always ready to spit back and answer - guess that's not quite true.  I'm not upset or anything, so please don't take it that way.

This possible if you're subscribed to a support services...

Please take into consideration that other people who contributed to answer (for free) posts in the forum have jobs too. Do your homework and provide as much information you can to the community. This way people will be more interested in answering them.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 05:09:10 am by c4rdinal »

kismetgerald

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 07:53:31 am »

This possible if you're subscribed to a support services...

I get your point, but I want to know if this will work before committing the money to purchasing the server(s).  I need to know if I will need only one server located at the main office, or one each in each building with different domain names.  I already have approval for the project and funds have been committed, but I want to make sure this will work first.

Please take into consideration that other people who contributed to answer (for free) posts in the forum have jobs too. Do your homework and provide as much information you can to the community. This way people will be more interested in answering them.

I understand that everybody here has a job, as I said I didn't mean to be hasty.  Now can you offer me some real help, as opposed to pointing me to purchasing a support subscription?

Thanks guys................

Sam Graf

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 01:04:07 pm »
For whatever reason, Linux gurus here are few and far between. More likely than not, we are admins-in-process who are still in the school of hard knocks. So sometimes maybe we need a little more information than might be absolutely necessary.

I'm not clear on eth1's role--external or internal? Is Zentyal providing DHCP services? Is everything on the same subnet? Can you use the server's console and check Zentyal's status?

It's possible that you've already covered these types of things and it's an altogether different sort of problem, but at least some of us have to work our way through the obvious before we can start thinking about the unsual. :)