Author Topic: Setup Ebox PDC  (Read 2720 times)

Burn

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Setup Ebox PDC
« on: November 11, 2008, 11:23:47 am »
I have a small network in my care: about 20 computers running windows and linux, and I'd like to centrify them. Ebox installed fine, I created a user with administrator rights and launched file sharing in PDC mode. When I try to join my trial windows 2008 server to the domain, a popup for credentials appears, I enter them, and get "Error: specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted". I looked into samba logs but there's nothing about joining.
I feel that it should be a DNS issue. Do I need to configure DNS and DHCP as well on Ebox in order for PDC to work? I already have dns and dhcp servers on my network and would like to keep them.

javi

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Setup Ebox PDC
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 12:50:02 pm »
I have a small network in my care: about 20 computers running windows and linux, and I'd like to centrify them. Ebox installed fine, I created a user with administrator rights and launched file sharing in PDC mode. When I try to join my trial windows 2008 server to the domain, a popup for credentials appears, I enter them, and get "Error: specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted". I looked into samba logs but there's nothing about joining.
I feel that it should be a DNS issue. Do I need to configure DNS and DHCP as well on Ebox in order for PDC to work? I already have dns and dhcp servers on my network and would like to keep them.

I'm assuming that your windows 2008 server will probably try to find the domain querying the dns server to fetch an _ldap service for the domain... If that's the case -I haven't added a windows 2008 server to eBox, just windows XP clients- it won't work.

Do you have  an XP machine to try add it to the domain and see if that works?

Burn

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Setup Ebox PDC
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 03:10:59 pm »
I'm assuming that your windows 2008 server will probably try to find the domain querying the dns server to fetch an _ldap service for the domain... If that's the case -I haven't added a windows 2008 server to eBox, just windows XP clients- it won't work.

Do you have  an XP machine to try add it to the domain and see if that works?
I'll sure try it tomorrow with virtual WinXP. But, do XP clients behave differently?