Author Topic: change standalone zentyal server to sync with active directory  (Read 6334 times)

Zadeet

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Good day all..

Firstly thank you for a wonderful product. Coming from a Windows background, the stability and feature set of zentyal still amazes me!

I have been using your product since ebox 0.9 days, and have deployed at least 20 servers for clients of up to 20 workstations most are conversions from windows server. I've been a long term lurker on these forums, and this is my first post, so go easy on me please!

I have a client with a zentyal office server, no gateway functionality. Server is fully updated, running latest zentyal release and configured as standalone. This company has now been forced to purchase active directory server to support certain software. They want to retain the zentyal server but want to sync it with AD. Is it possible to reconfigure the zentyal server to sync with the AD SERVER? if so how do I go about this, or should I reinstall and configure server as AD slave?

Any help you guys provide will be appreciated..

Craig

Ps.. I promise to stop lurking and start contributing soon!

Trym

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: change standalone zentyal server to sync with active directory
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 11:06:41 pm »
If you run the following command, Zentyal will rip out everything depending on the current-user configuration, remove the ldap-information, re-install the modules and let you configure ldap and slave-status anew:

Code: [Select]
/usr/share/ebox-usersandgroups/ebox-usersandgroups-reinstall

The sequence of events is important. First, shut down any open web-configurator-window. After running the script, go directly to the users and groups module, configure the slave-status and save. Then, and only then, go to module status and re-activate the re-installed modules.

As the script itself warns: Make sure you know what you're doing before doing this. There's a good chance this will screw up your server.

Good luck.

::Trym
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 11:12:31 pm by Trym »

Zadeet

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 03:38:08 pm »
Trym, Thank you!

I will be with this client tomorrow (tuesday) and I will give its a bash. I suppose it will be prudent to backup the servers configuration to their zentyal cloud account just in case?

Will post back here with the (hopefully good) news

Craig

Trym

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 05:14:47 pm »
Yeah, you can't have too many backups.

You don't say what it's currently used for, except for "office-functions", if it's used as a mail-server, either zarafa or regular, you'll run into trouble no matter what you do. (The user id's won't be the same), and if you run the script, everything will be deleted (as the data depends on the users.) Make sure you have a backup of the data as well.

Anyway, I actually had to do this yesterday on a real server as there was an error I quite couldn't get rid of, so I decided to rip out the guts and start half-fresh. It worked as advertised, except that the mail-filter module wouldn't work, it complained about something related to ldap-schemas. Uninstalling (even with --purge) and re-installing didn't help. What *did* help was running "/usr/share/ebox/ebox-unconfigure-module mailfilter"

That's a neat little script to fix otherwise "unfixable" modules. (You have to re-enable any "unconfigured" module in the web-interface.)

Good luck with the migration.

::Trym

Pfff

• Zen Warrior
  • Be open
    • View Profile
    • Webynux
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 01:05:01 pm »
Hello

Zentyal is replying me "Couldn't bind to LDAP server". I've typed the admin password of the SBS server...

Any info how to resolve this problem?

jsalamero

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 12:21:45 am »
Make a ebox-usersandgroups-reinstall to fix your LDAP issues or check ebox.log for what went wrong.

Pfff

• Zen Warrior
  • Be open
    • View Profile
    • Webynux
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 11:43:47 am »
Many thx

I tried to launch this command by ssh... but:
Code: [Select]
sid@sed-protect:~$ ebox-usersandgroups-reinstall
ebox-usersandgroups-reinstall: command not found