Author Topic: log in / hotspot  (Read 3459 times)

LordS1mack

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« on: February 11, 2011, 12:19:29 am »
OK. I want anyone on my network who wants to get online to log in. I'm new to Zentyal so I'm a little lost. Under Web/ HTTP proxy on products like smoothwall ( with advanced proxy mod) and Microteck products there is a section to select how and if you would like your users to log in to access the web.  Where can I find this on Zetyal's software?  I have fooled around with the Radius and PAN settings but I can still access the web with out authentication.

Escorpiom

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Re: log in / hotspot
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 04:32:43 am »
The hotspot function is not yet implemented.
There is another topic about authentication with Freeradius, but we haven't made much progress either.
I would like to use this also, I'm using Zentyal in a hotel were we have fixed clients (personnel) and guest access for our clients.
For the fixed clients I use IP/MAC binding and then block all else on the firewall. Works a charm, but for the guests I have not found a suitable way to make them login using credentials.

Cheers.

Marcus' Rule:
Blanks & capitals = avoid it and you'll avoid problems...

LordS1mack

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 08:02:24 am »
That sucks. I dumped my smoothwall for the zentyal bacuse of the newer kernals and hardware support. They even list it in their feature list:
 ◦HTTP proxy
■Internet cache
■User authentication
■Content filtering (with categorized lists)
■Transparent antivirus
■Delay pools

Escorpiom

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 05:19:30 am »
Yeah it does suck.
The user authentication does work, but only if you set the HTTP proxy to non-transparent mode and set the default policy to "authorize".
In that way at least http traffic (web browsing) uses authorization. It is not meant for traffic on other ports, that still goes through without authorization.

If you are looking for something like hotspot, the best you can do for now is put an access point on your network with DD-WRT firmware. It includes a hotspot with captive portal.

You can't really compare Smoothwall to Zentyal.
Zentyal is so much more complete and is more like a SBS.
If you don't need all the features Zentyal offers, in that case your best shot would be Pfsense 2.0 or Zeroshell.

Cheers.
Marcus' Rule:
Blanks & capitals = avoid it and you'll avoid problems...