Author Topic: How to manually run the setup wizard after packages are installed?  (Read 12508 times)

rockyzhangxq

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Hi Guys,

I knew when the Zentyal server first bootup, it will run setup wizard (e.g. select packages, configure network interfaces, users mode).  And after first setup, the wizard is gone.  I'd like to manually run it after the initial setup ( one example might be that I setup end user's server box at office, after server is shipped to on site, end user first login, I'd like him be able to see the wizard and go through them specially for the external and internal IP configuration ) .

I saw there is one file /var/lib/ebox/.first control it; If I created this file, the wizard interface will show up; My problem is that the wizard does not seem to work after I click "install"; I guess the reason was that the packages were already installed and the system refused to set it up again. Any tricks/script to make it happen again?

Thanks,
Rocky

Thanks,
Rocky

rockyzhangxq

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: How to manually run the setup wizard after packages are installed?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 10:18:18 pm »
I tested something on Zentyal server. The wizard https://localhost/ebox/Wizard only works after I wipe off the Redis DB, which was not what i wanted.  What I really like to see is that the wizard still get to run even there is already data: e.g. read data from redis DB and let end user to modify it or not, then override with the new configuration.

Thanks,
Rocky

sixstone

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • Sixstone's blog
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 05:39:41 pm »
Hi there,

These wizards are intended to set up Zentyal server for the first time. Things like configuring the interfaces, gateways and such can be done afterwards in [it]Network[/it] configuration and the users selection is an option that cannot be rollback unless you reinstall the module wiping out your current data and configuration.

So I do not find a reason to rerun the wizards apart from his main purpose.

Happy new year everyone!
My secret is my silence...

rockyzhangxq

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 06:25:00 pm »
Fair enough. But i would still like to have the ability to run it more than once. Like us, we have one remote branch where has no IT guys; I'd like one stuff there boot up the box and, run the wizard to configure 2 NICs: one is for public IP, another one is for internal DHCP server.  They seem to more like a wizard than logging into web UI than explain some concepts to them (since the server is not accessable till they configure the network, I can not do anything except call them).

I know some devices like BlackBerry has the wizard there one can run multiple times which is a nice feature specially for some lazy guys. I wish Zentyal could support it as well.

Thanks,
Rocky

Hi there,

These wizards are intended to set up Zentyal server for the first time. Things like configuring the interfaces, gateways and such can be done afterwards in [it]Network[/it] configuration and the users selection is an option that cannot be rollback unless you reinstall the module wiping out your current data and configuration.

Happy new year everyone!

flyerVT

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 12:45:47 am »
Hi,

I also would like to see a way to re-start the configuration wizard and reset all the package installation and settings as if a fresh installation.

Presently if you select the 'skip install' button, you cannot come back to it and re-run the config wizard. I wish I had known this!

If I understand correctly, I either need to manually set up and install all the packages from command line, or format and re-install the whole system to re-use the wizard (which is probably quicker).

If I had the skills to ensure that I installed all the packages properly from the command line, I would not need Zentyal. In my opinion, the configuration wizard is one of the most valuable features.

To assume it would never need to be run again seems odd to me.

All that said, thanks for a great system and excellent work.

Regards,

Mike

Hi there,

Happy new year everyone!

Sam Graf

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 01:21:59 am »
If I understand correctly, I either need to manually set up and install all the packages from command line, or format and re-install the whole system to re-use the wizard (which is probably quicker).
Zentyal's software management (available within the GUI) allows installation of both individual packages and metapackages after the wizard has run. This makes it possible to add and remove software and repurpose the server at any point after the intial installation. To my knoweldge there is no routine need to install Zentyal packages from the command line. That's been the case in my experience, at least.

flyerVT

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 01:55:56 am »
Thanks Sam,

I found it and I am all up and running and configured.  Originally I thought I could just 'skip install' before packages were installed (I wanted to add some hardware), then come back to it and select the packages with the wizard. When I found I could not use that awesome wizard I had visions of a blown weekend configuring from command line, but this is REALLY easy and nice.

Awesome stuff....thanks again.

Regards,

Mike

Sam Graf

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 02:00:10 am »
Very glad it turned out all right in the end. :)

Pat

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 11:54:40 pm »
Hi

Sorry to dig up an old post, but is there any chance you can share how you restored the configuration wizard ?

It didn't recognise my wireless mouse when I first booted up and then it was lost, so I have just a base system with nothing else and need to be able to configure everything.

Many thanks