Author Topic: VMWare: eBox Network fail: "An error happened trying to set the default gateway"  (Read 3030 times)

Marc

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Hi,

We have a fine running ebox on an Ubuntu 8.04 VMWare host server. Now we setted up a new Ubuntu VMWare host server. And we copied the ebox vmware appliance from the old server to the one. Now, the eBox network fail with a
"An error happened trying to set the default gateway. Make sure the gateway you specified is reachable."

The network basically works - for the server, but nothing inside the ebox. Other copied appliance work fine ... so I came to the clue that there might be something special in the ebox with the network setup, maybe a fixed mac address? I remember, the WebGUI shows a Mac Address ... of course this change from one to the other vmware host server, but this isn't fixed, is it? When I set up a fresh ebox from scratch as a vmware appliance on the new server, it works fine (with networking).

Right now, we've only "lo" with the old ebox on the new vmware server :(. By the way the both vmware host servers are running in the same environment, same network parameters (only x.x.x.110 and x.x.x.120) ... all the same, from my point of view.

So, has anyone an idea how I get the old ebox running on the new vmware host? Or how I get the network running?

Thx.
Marc

javi

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Ok, please can you make sure that you don't have an interface configured with DHCP which gives you a gateway, and at the same time you set a gateway in eBox.
If that's the case you will experience problems...

Marc

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Thanks, Javi, but I'm not sure, what you exactly mean ... my linux /etc/network/interfaces shows this:

Code: [Select]
# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.0.254
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.0.1

I didn't changed it ... my EBox config is attached. Do I have to change the /etc/network/interfaces ... without the gateway-line?

Thanks.
Marc

javi

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Ok, can you please check the following:

- reboot the virtual machine
- Make sure there isn't any dhclient process running
- Go to eBox  and set the configuration you need

Please tell me if after these steps you still are getting the "An error happened trying to set the default gateway" error