Author Topic: [SOLVED] ]Network Printer  (Read 2031 times)

SeanPF

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
[SOLVED] ]Network Printer
« on: October 21, 2010, 12:37:39 am »
So my Zentyal server has a printer attached to it, an HP Mopier 240. It uses CUPS, and there is a specific driver for this printer included in CUPS. I would like the Windows XP clients to automatically mount this printer during logon. I know I can add a simple line in the logon.bat file, something like start \\server\printer.

The problem is, when a Windows XP client tries to add the network printer, either via the logon script, or using the add printer wizard, it always gets an error that the server has the wrong driver installed, and then requires me to manually scroll through the list and choose the right printer driver.

I assume this is because the CUPS drivers that allow the Zentyal server to print, are not compatible with Windows XP. So my question is whether anyone knows a work around. Is there a script using RUNDLL32 PRINTUI.DLL,PrintUIEntry to add the network printer, but use a local driver?

This
Code: [Select]
RUNDLL32 PRINTUI.DLL,PrintUIEntry /in /f %windir%\inf\ntprint.inf /m "HP Mopier 240 PCL" /n\\server\printer doesn't work, I get the same result of having to manually choose the driver locally. I dont think the /f switch can be used with /in.

Any ideas are appreciated. Right now I have to manually add the network printer on each workstation on the network.

I've been using this info: http://techsupt.winbatch.com/ts/T000001031F17.html but I haven't been able to figure it out.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 08:47:25 pm by seanpf »

tuxmania

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Network Printer
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 10:01:58 am »
I have the same problems adding drivers to samba print$ share. I cant seem to get automatic driver download/install working no matter what i do.

tuxmania

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 10:19:03 am »
I just found this document that has a nifty tidbit. Apparently the driver isnt initialized until you change a setting when adding a driver to a samba printer. Read the second half of this doc:

http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/feature/18850.html

Hope it helps, please tell us if it does!
 :D

SeanPF

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 08:46:57 pm »
That worked.

Zentyal now has the correct print driver installed, so I can use logon scripts to connect each workstation to the network printer without manually having to choose the driver each time!

Yay!