Author Topic: [solved] Zentyal Samba BUG #02  (Read 2820 times)

JPB

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
[solved] Zentyal Samba BUG #02
« on: September 10, 2010, 09:15:28 am »
If you make an share in Zentyal Dashboard I would expect the file location will be created and properly chown / chmod so it is readable / usable

I had to go create the shares by hand and run
Code: [Select]
sudo chown -R  ebox:__USERS__ /datato get proper ownership NOTE: be carefull when using the -R in chown - you can mess up things badly if as root user!

In this case I have made my shares in filesystem but the same issue prevail if maid under zentyal share location [NOTE: zentyal method is correct as it is supposed to be in the /var or the /home tree]

Please add some checks to get this automated - It will only cause some unanswered forum postings or bad reputation points

Thanx
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 09:56:56 am by JPB »

javi

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Zentyal Samba BUG #02
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 09:55:00 am »
It seems that the documentation is not clear enough. Please file a bug in trac.

Share path:
A path can be created either in the eBox directory /home/samba/shares or using an already existing directory path if File system path is chosen.

It should say:

If you pick File System Path you will need to create the directory manually if it doesn't exist and set the proper permissions in order to be accessed by your user. However, if you pick eBox, the share will be created automatically along with the right permissions under /home/samba/.

Help us make a better product by reporting this kind of stuff. If the doc it's not clear let us know.

As far as I know the 2.0 doc is not ready yet, but you can use the 1.4 doc which I suppose will be very similar: http://doc.zentyal.org/en/filesharing.html#file-sharing

JPB

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
Re: [solved] Zentyal Samba BUG #02
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 09:57:16 am »
Thanx

alvinquah

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: [solved] Zentyal Samba BUG #02
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 11:48:31 am »
If you make an share in Zentyal Dashboard I would expect the file location will be created and properly chown / chmod so it is readable / usable

I had to go create the shares by hand and run
Code: [Select]
sudo chown -R  ebox:__USERS__ /datato get proper ownership NOTE: be carefull when using the -R in chown - you can mess up things badly if as root user!

In this case I have made my shares in filesystem but the same issue prevail if maid under zentyal share location [NOTE: zentyal method is correct as it is supposed to be in the /var or the /home tree]

Please add some checks to get this automated - It will only cause some unanswered forum postings or bad reputation points

Thanx

Well in my case, i don't even have the __USERS__ group in place when i create the share under /home/samba/. I solve it by groupadd __USERS__ /home/samba/data and chown -R ebox:__USERS__ /home/samba/data.