Author Topic: Adding shell users / passwd err!  (Read 2926 times)

JPB

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
Adding shell users / passwd err!
« on: September 08, 2010, 10:16:33 am »
I cant add users and add passwords for them in a shell after installing Zentyal

I open a putty session to root and try to add some users,  I get this error

Code: [Select]
root@chaos:~# adduser test
Adding user `test' ...
Adding new group `test' (1001) ...
Adding new user `test' (1001) with group `test' ...
Creating home directory `/home/test' ...
Copying files from `/etc/skel' ...
passwd: Authentication token manipulation error
passwd: password unchanged
Try again? [y/N]

even changing passwd's result in
Code: [Select]
passwd: Authentication token manipulation error
passwd: password unchanged

I need to know how to fix this because I want to install some other software on the server that require login.

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • http://blogs.zentyal.org/jacalvo
Re: Adding shell users / passwd err!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 10:46:13 am »
We need a bit more context. Is this a fresh install using the Zentyal CD? Or have you installed it on top of an already configured Ubuntu Server?
Zentyal Server Lead Developer

JPB

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 11:28:35 am »
We need a bit more context. Is this a fresh install using the Zentyal CD? Or have you installed it on top of an already configured Ubuntu Server?
I have like 24 Ubuntu servers all installed same way none have this issue, the e-box/zentyal install modifies the pam authentication BUT dont leave the pam passwd change intact.

I installed in order from the Published Ubuntu CD from Ubuntu website the Ubuntu and only added open ssh Server as application therfore it could be seen as an basic install.

then I ran aptitude update after adding the corect deb enty in the sources.list and aptitude safe-upgrade after setting the hostname in hosts and /etc/hostname I rebooted and did an aptitude install ebox-all.

I kept it updated via aptitude safe-upgrade even this morning as I still want to make sure it is stable before comitting into production.

JPB

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 11:33:55 am »
I first detected this because the Ubuntu default user I made when installing native Ubuntu was the one I wanted to be my zentyal user. so I did userdel that user to add it as an zentyal user in the Dashboard/Users

Because this user was adm and my dashboard user I wanted to re-create another "generic" zentyal dashboard user and add him to the adm group so I can login with that one to the dashboard.

Now I cant add the user nor can I change his password and to make it worse i do not have another user in adm group that can access the zentyal dashboard.

I basically logged myself out!