Author Topic: Installation of Zentyal 2.0 on (Fake) RAID  (Read 12186 times)

muppetgeoff

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Installation of Zentyal 2.0 on (Fake) RAID
« on: September 02, 2010, 08:40:30 pm »
Hi!

So Zentyal has good support for SATA (fake) RAID, finding, mounting, and partitioning the RAID set perfectly.

But there is a small issue with the automated installation, whereby GRUB doesn't get installed properly, and the unit will fail to boot.

This is a Ubuntu issue, where GRUB installs to /dev/sda instead of /dev/mapper/yourraidset. It can be overcome in the 'Advanced' installation by selecting 'Advanced' at one point in the installation, and pointing GRUB to your raid set.

But if you use the automated installation, there is an extra step you need to do BEFORE restarting:

At the end of the installation, BEFORE you press 'Finish' or 'Restart', press Alt-F2 to open a console
  • Type: mount --bind /dev /target/dev
  • Type: mount -t proc /proc /target/proc
  • Type: mount -t sysfs /sys /target/sys
  • Type: chroot /target
  • Type: cd /dev/mapper
  • Type: ls
  • (make a note of your RAID set name)
  • Type: grub-install /dev/mapper/xxxxxxxx (where xxxxxx is your RAID set name NOT ending in a number)
  • Type: update-grub
  • Press: Alt+F1
  • Select to finish the installation
On my boxes, this installed GRUB, and Zentyal booted as expected.

Hope this helps someone!

Geoff
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 10:51:55 pm by muppetgeoff »

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • http://blogs.zentyal.org/jacalvo
Re: Installation of Zentyal 2.0 on (Fake) RAID
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 10:49:52 pm »
Thanks for sharing this!
Zentyal Server Lead Developer

OLONET

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 05:02:27 pm »
Hi!

So Zentyal has good support for SATA (fake) RAID, finding, mounting, and partitioning the RAID set perfectly.

But there is a small issue with the automated installation, whereby GRUB doesn't get installed properly, and the unit will fail to boot.

This is a Ubuntu issue, where GRUB installs to /dev/sda instead of /dev/mapper/yourraidset. It can be overcome in the 'Advanced' installation by selecting 'Advanced' at one point in the installation, and pointing GRUB to your raid set.

But if you use the automated installation, there is an extra step you need to do BEFORE restarting:

At the end of the installation, BEFORE you press 'Finish' or 'Restart', press Alt-F2 to open a console
  • Type: grub-install /dev/mapper/xxxxxxxx (where xxxxxx is your RAID set name NOT ending in a number)

Hope this helps someone!

Geoff

Hi,
i had resolve this issue with your guide, zentyal start without problem...but now there is an other problem: i tested to remove a disk (like disk fail), zentyal boot stop with an error message "The disk drive for /boot is not ready yet or not present Continue to wait; or Press S to skip....."

matte85

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 10:53:46 am »
How do you start GRUB over zentyal (embed, 10.04.1 ubuntu server LTS)? , zentyal I do not see the my raid 10 , and, I can not install it, there is a precise procedure to start it with GRUB, please you help me with a step by step procedure to start GRUB boot. I do not know well the GRUB boot loader
My first post: http://forum.zentyal.org/index.php?topic=6276.0

OLONET

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 04:13:21 pm »
I solved my problem by runnig the command "dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc" (after the command "chroot /target of the guide), deselecting install grub on /dev/sdx and selecting install grub on/dev/mapper/xxxxx. This because the grub-install command, install grub on volume raid, but leave also on sdx.
Now work also if i remove a disk

Hi!

Hope this helps someone!

Geoff

Hi,
i had resolve this issue with your guide, zentyal start without problem...but now there is an other problem: i tested to remove a disk (like disk fail), zentyal boot stop with an error message "The disk drive for /boot is not ready yet or not present Continue to wait; or Press S to skip....."

LowRadio

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 04:04:19 am »
Damn I wish I read this post a long time ago, I tried for the longest time to do exactly this but I eventually gave up. Instead I boot off a usb stick as the /boot partition.  :o

c4rdinal

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 09:40:01 am »
Hi!

Is this issue still present/applicable with Zentyal 2.2?

Thanks

noobadmin

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 12:22:01 pm »
i'm trying that with zentyal 2.2.2
If you rebuild the software raid from scratch it gives no problems.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 01:16:10 pm by noobadmin »

wwit

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 07:16:42 am »
Just a word of thanks. this issue had me stumped and muppetgeoff's solutions worked perfectly.
Cheers