Author Topic: Fetchmail external account retrieval not working  (Read 8679 times)

check-ict

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Fetchmail external account retrieval not working
« on: July 27, 2010, 10:31:25 am »
Hello,

I've set up my eBox some time ago for file/ftp/vpn server. Now I added mail, mail filter and user corner to retrieve mail from my private mail. I'm doing this because my private mail has a bad mail filter, and I wan't to use IMAP wich is not possible at my currect provider.

I created a virtual domain, the same as the real domain. So this would be test@test.nl, wich is my private mail account. The user has the alias test@test.nl so they match. Now I selected the POP, IMAP and retrieval services in the mail module. All is saved and the user corner is configured to retrieve the mail.

The External retrieval service on the dashboard has the status "Stopped". When I activate it, it waits a bit and then shows again that it's stopped. In the mail log I see that dovecot is restarted. Where can I find logs about fetchmail and why it's not retrieving mail?

My version is 1.5.8 on Ubuntu 10.4
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 10:35:01 am by check-ict »

Javier Amor Garcia

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Fetchmail external account retrieval not working
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 01:17:36 pm »
The logs for fetchmail oculd be found at /var/log/mail.log (yes, the same place than dovecot logs).

However in your case it appears that you dont have any external account set (they re set through the user corner) so fetchmail stops because it hasn't any work to do.

More details -> http://doc.ebox-platform.com/en/mail.html#mail-retrieval-from-external-accounts

check-ict

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 10:09:43 pm »
I did configure it. In the mail log there is nothing then shutdowns with exit code 15. Nothing weird though.

The user corner of the user is configured to recieve the external mail from a pop server. I can reach it with telnet, so the communication should be ok.

Mail.log:
Jul 28 22:04:29 ebox postfix/master[4173]: terminating on signal 15
Jul 28 22:04:30 ebox postfix/master[11819]: daemon started -- version 2.7.0, configuration /etc/postfix
Jul 28 22:04:30 ebox dovecot: imap-login: Killed with signal 15 (by pid=1 uid=0 code=kill)
Jul 28 22:04:30 ebox dovecot: last message repeated 2 times
Jul 28 22:04:30 ebox dovecot: dovecot: Killed with signal 15 (by pid=1 uid=0 code=kill)
Jul 28 22:04:30 ebox dovecot: auth(default): Killed with signal 15 (by pid=1 uid=0 code=kill)
Jul 28 22:04:31 ebox dovecot: Dovecot v1.2.9 starting up (core dumps disabled)

User corner settings:
external mail: test@test.nl
password: test123
mailserver: pop.testpopserver.nl
protocol: pop3
port: 110

telnet reply:

root@ebox:/home# telnet pop.testpopserver.nl 110
Trying xxx.xx.xx.xxx...
Connected to pop.testpopserver.nl.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK Messaging Multiplexor (Sun Java(tm) System Messaging Server 6.3-7.04 (built Sep 26 2008))

Javier Amor Garcia

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 01:50:50 pm »
Is not clear for me what could be the problem. Let's see..

You don't see any fetchmail message in /var/log/mail.log (try with grep fetchmail /var/log/mail.log) ?.

Another thing, is dovecot working properly ?(i.e. after sending mail to a account in any ebox virtual domain you coudl recover it using POp or IMA{)

check-ict

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 11:15:50 am »
Seems like there are still some bugs/errors with 1.5... I've installed it multiple times (virtual) and still there are things comming up. Dropping networking connection on large file transfers (rsync), not able to retrieve mail, web UI not responding (have to use "service ebox apache restart") and some other issues. This makes it hard to put all my important data and mail on the server.

Is 1.4 more stable with ubuntu 8.04?

christian

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 12:14:37 pm »
Fetchmail was not working for me on 1.5 neither. I can't figure why and never got messages in mail.log

Now I don't now if it changed because I've implemented my own fetchmail script because retrieving all mailboxes is a must.

carlswart

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 09:15:59 pm »
Seems like there are still some bugs/errors with 1.5... I've installed it multiple times (virtual) and still there are things comming up. Dropping networking connection on large file transfers (rsync), not able to retrieve mail, web UI not responding (have to use "service ebox apache restart") and some other issues. This makes it hard to put all my important data and mail on the server.

Is 1.4 more stable with ubuntu 8.04?

I can confirm that I see similar behaviour on my eBox 1.5 install. The one that bugs me currently the most is the eBox Administration interface that just hangs. You then have to use "service ebox apache restart" to get it going again.

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • http://blogs.zentyal.org/jacalvo
Zentyal Server Lead Developer