Author Topic: Groupware server for eBox  (Read 9676 times)

nuanda

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Groupware server for eBox
« on: June 30, 2008, 03:17:11 pm »
I think It could be wonderfull to integrate a groupware server in eBox.
The best solution for me could be SoGO (http://sogo.opengroupware.org/).
It use LDAP for authentication and PostgreSQL for data managment.
I find a script made by Mark Pavlichuk, for installation on Ubuntu and it is self documented:
http://mail.opengroupware.org/pipermail/sogo/2008-May/001000.html

kbrault

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Groupware server for eBox
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 02:53:40 am »
Is there anymore interest in SOGo?

From the testing we have done I have to say that the SOGo/Thunderbird combination is the best replacement for Exchange/Outlook.

It would be great to have it as a plugin for eBox.

Kevin

sixstone

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • Sixstone's blog
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 10:58:39 am »
Hello,

We currently give support to this groupware solution (eGroupware: http://egroupware.org) since it was the most demanded one.

Is there any reason to use SOGo instead of eGroupware?

Best regards,
My secret is my silence...

kbrault

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 04:59:34 pm »
Yes,

Most users have been exposed to the functionality of Outlook with Exchange and thus are not satisfied with reduced performance or features when using a replacement package.

eGroupware provides a tremendous feature package but only with its web interface and this is limited to the limitations of the browser (customized spell checking, etc.).

Most users are satisfied with the Thunderbird email client features. eGroupware allows a synchronization with Thunderbird's calendar and contacts via funambol and some others but they require complicated setup for the end user and can have limited functionality (the Funambol plug-in only allows one calendar and address book to be sync'd).

SOGo provides a Thunderbird plug-in that allows the administrator to install and remove plug-ins and set configurations on the server and then push them out to all the Thunderbird clients.

Any address books or calendars that the user creates in either client (webmail or Thunderbird) is replicated in the other client. If a user adds six address books and four calendars in Thunderbird they are immediately available in the webmail client without the user having to perform any additional steps.

The address books and calendars and email folders (this may require a Cyrus IMAP server) can be shared with other users with varying degrees of permission with true ACL functionality.

The SOGo webmail interface mimics Thunderbird's interface so users will be comfortable and familiar with either client (similar to how the Exchange webmail interface mimics the appearance of Outlook).

filgood

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 10:49:31 pm »
This would be a great addon.

+1 to get into ebox

VitRom

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 12:58:03 pm »
+1 (and bump topic :) just to avoid loss)

Is there any reason to use SOGo instead of eGroupware?
Sure! In many cases a SoGo feature set fits completely into a "small office" needs (mail, shared mail, shared dox, calendar).

At the same time an eGroupware too overbloated with a many rare used bells an whistles (in a full install it can replace abt 3/4 of an eBox functions, even a samba, samba-users, ldap etc.)

chrischnian

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 09:06:23 am »
This would be a great addon.

+1 to get into ebox

SOGo is great

cheesyking

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 01:52:04 am »
Having had a play with the demo I've got to say that it does look very good!

I don't think it's really comparable to egroupware. Sogo just seems to do the basics that every office needs while egroupware does a whole bunch of stuff the very few people need.

I've shown egroupware to a couple of business who've rejected it purely on the grounds of looks without even considering whether it would do what they need. That said I don't think it really would have suited them very well. Though that's another problem with egroupware, it seems pretty focused on doing all the functions a team of software developers would need. Thing is that doesn't fit a large number of people.

An alternative basic groupware package would be very nice to have.

cloakable

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 03:07:01 pm »
Something that might be nice would be Tine 2.0, which is a pretty good groupware that's steadily improving. It doesn't support sync other than ActiveSync at the moment, though.

On the other hand, the AJAX webui is fantastic. :)

bbking

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 03:06:49 pm »
From a users standpoint, I think it should be something that *really* works. In eGW there is the wiki, but I for my part don't know how to create a new page there.

Other thing is the leg-breaking syncronisation to mobile devices. This is what it makes a different in a (small) business environment. To be honest, I'd rather pay for a working solution than live with a free, buggy one....

I havent tested SoGo with mobile sync so far, if anybody has test-experience, please let me know.

There is Kolab and open-xchange as an alternative to eGW out there.

TheMO

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2010, 09:58:05 am »
I am getting ready to play around with ebox for the first time, but thought i'd chime in on experiences with "M$ Exchange" like packages.

Zimbra Collaboration Server should be added to the lists of considerations as well. I have it install in another Linux environment and have nothing but goo things to say about its functionality.

Yes, it is an open source email server.

I have installed on Hardy, Karmic, as well as Lucid without any issues.

Have a look at it and see if it's a package worthy of discussion and inclusion here as well.  I certainly think it is.
http://www.zimbra.com

cheesyking

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 02:48:09 pm »
I think the problem with Zimbra is that it would have the core around which the rest of ebox was written rather than being an optional module you could have if you want it. That's if you wanted Zimbra to work with all its bells and whistles.

kgw

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2010, 06:32:07 am »
I have used egroupware for several years and it was the inclusion of this in ebox that brought me here.  I chose it over ogo 3 or 4 years ago because it had more features and because I was able to get it to work.  With ogo, that was not the case then.  Concerns that it has more features than some need should be disregarded as those extra features can be ignored if not needed but are of use to some of us.  Mark me down as supporting the continued inclusion of egroupware in ebox.

Sam Graf

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2010, 03:28:15 pm »
I think the decision the eBox developers face is whether they want eBox to be a total, turnkey small business solution or a core services small business solution. In the first case, a product like eGroupWare makes the most sense. In the second case, it might not.

Anyone who has agreed with Bill Gates' "corporate IQ" argument in his Business @ The Speed Of Thought: Using A Digital Nervous System will see the value potential of eGroupWare to a turnkey solution. Using Gates' terminology, even small businesses have "history and traditions," and "modern organizations need a...way to record and pass on their folklore" (pp 236, 237). In my organization, we are using eGroupWare in exactly the way Gates envisions, as a shared corporate knowledge storehouse.

On the other hand, if eBox is essentially an infrastructure product and not a turnkey solution, then it makes sense (to me) to look at tools that focus on infrastructure-related requirements. But that should be across the board, not just in the groupware space. It makes less sense (to me) to have items like web-mail and a "user corner" in an infrastructure product. Ease of productivity product integration into the infrastructure would be a more sensible priority.

That said, the way-less-than-friendly process of syncing mobile devices to eGroupWare is a major liability. Small businesses not using Exchange may still be in the habit of syncing with Outlook for personal productivity. In my case, where the organization doesn't provide a mobile device, people using their personal mobile device have to do their calendars twice, since the alternative--officially supporting these devices--is not attractive enough to the organization, given the pain and uncertainty involved.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 03:31:34 pm by Sam Graf »

ericb

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2010, 12:33:10 am »
I just want to get my vote in for Zimbra.  It's the closest I've seen to an Exchange replacement and the only thing it's missing is seamless integration into directory services (which eBox does well) for single point of authentication.  IMO, eBox and Zimbra could be the ultimate server for small businesses.

EB