Author Topic: Jabber  (Read 2039 times)

ReaverCSI

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Jabber
« on: June 23, 2008, 07:53:56 pm »
hey 

can anyone please explain to me exactly what the jabber service is and what can i do with this, Ive heard that you can run jabber threw e box, but i first need to know exactly what it is?

im sorry if i sound like a complete idiot, but you gota start somewhere hey
any help would be appreciated thanks.. :)

Michael

redmondmj

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Jabber
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 09:43:50 pm »

http://www.jabber.org/what-is-jabber

"Jabber is:
An open, secure technology for instant messaging and a whole lot more.
A friendly community of end users and developers who value freedom of communication.
A decentralized network of IM services in which your messages are not monitored by a big company like AOL, Microsoft, or Yahoo. You can even run your own server!
A set of stable standards for real-time communications, published by the IETF and the XMPP Standards Foundation.
Instant messaging the way it was meant to be!

In other words, Jabber is NOT a closed, insecure, unfriendly, centralized, proprietary instant messaging service like AIM, ICQ, MSN, or Yahoo."

Basically it will provide you with the opportunity to run your own Instant Messaging server that is in house and secure. Your private info is not being sent over third-party servers.....

ReaverCSI

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Jabber
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 02:16:29 pm »
hey

thanks a lot for explaining to me, so basically i can start my own instant messaging service at my own house?
This is something big, so lets say i want to start this jabber, what is the first important steps i need to take in order to start my own jabber service? what will i be needing?

thanks for your help on this matter

Michael :)