Author Topic: Internal network installation problem  (Read 1788 times)

New Installation

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Internal network installation problem
« on: June 22, 2008, 09:49:08 am »
I have installed on new hardware Ubuntu 8.04 and eBox 0.11.100. Ubuntu and eBox are up and running.

I have two Ethernet cards.  I have one going outside to the Internet and one going inside to attached workstations (Windows 2000, Windows XP, etc).  The outside link works correctly.  The internal link shows some traffic but does not connect the workstations.

I assume my problem is I don't have a functional DHCP on the internal network.

Can you please help in getting the internal link running and a DHCP server running on the internal network?  Any other suggestions/pointers?

sixstone

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • Sixstone's blog
Re: Internal network installation problem
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 09:49:41 am »
Hi there,

Firstly, you must disable any other DHCP server in your local network. Then you must create a range and/or fixed address mapping from a MAC to an IP address in those interface which is attached to your local network. Moreover, you must enable dhcp module.

I think that's all. :)
My secret is my silence...

New Installation

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Internal network installation problem
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 12:05:25 pm »
Thank you for your assistance.

There is no other DHCP server on the internal network.  The intention is that Ubuntu will provide that service.

By "enable DHCP module", I assume that you are saying "use eBox to enable DHCP".  But, I can't get a workstation attached to access eBox.

I assume I can use the command line interface on Ubuntu to enable an internal network Ubuntu based DHCP.  But, I don't know how to do that.

I need to "create a range and/or fixed address mapping from a MAC to an IP address in those interface which is attached to your local network". Can you please clarify this for me?

I don't think I should need to be involved with MAC addresses.  My intention is that any machine can plug into the internal network and get an IP address via the DHCP server running in Ubuntu.

The issue is that Ubuntu comes out of the box ready to connect to one network.  In my case, I need it to drive two networks.  I should have mentioned I am using Ubuntu server 8.04.