Author Topic: How Safe is the automatic update ?  (Read 1697 times)

panos

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
How Safe is the automatic update ?
« on: June 07, 2008, 08:14:38 pm »
dear sirs , how save is the automatic update on Ebox Server? is there any way a package can destroy my current installation ? and my current modifications ?

Also.. is there any way to make an automatic backup of configuration files?

sixstone

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • Sixstone's blog
Re: How Safe is the automatic update ?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 04:34:35 pm »
dear sirs , how save is the automatic update on Ebox Server? is there any way a package can destroy my current installation ? and my current modifications ?
Dear panos,

We try to make update process as seamless as possible and trying not to break things at all. It is always safer to perform upgrades manually because you see if the upgrading process has worked correctly. Anyway, automatic updates ease the admin's life and I think eBox upgrades are quite stable. Regarding to your modifications, if you mean configuration settings using Web GUI are not destroyed. If there are changes in the GUI they are migrated to the new disposition if there is any change. Indeed we have a migration framework to ease this task.

If you have changed something in /usr/share/ebox or /usr/share/perl5/EBox directories they are overwritten by eBox packages and so you must back up  this advanced modifications.
Also.. is there any way to make an automatic backup of configuration files?
Actually from the Web UI it is not possible but you may create a cron job to do so by calling eBox perl API with a simple script like this exec as root:
Code: [Select]
#!/usr/bin/perl

use EBox;
use EBox::Global;
EBox::init();
my $backupMod = EBox::Global->modInstance('backup');
# Path to the backup
my $backupPath = $backupMod->makeBackup(description => 'Periodical backup', fullBackup  => 0);
As you see it is easy to create one. Anyway, it is a planned feature to include scheduling to the backups.

My secret is my silence...