Author Topic: eBox on Ubuntu 10.04  (Read 4491 times)

Yizi

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
eBox on Ubuntu 10.04
« on: May 21, 2010, 04:15:28 pm »
I'm trying to install eBox on Ubuntu 10.04 server and facing package problem:

I followed the installation like this:

• Added the deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ebox/1.5/ubuntu lucid main to /etc/apt/sources.list
  • Then updated the list like this apt-get update
  • Then used this line to install the package apt-get install ebox-infrastructure
  • I got this error in return Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Couldn't find package ebox-office

cheesyking

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: eBox on Ubuntu 10.04
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 01:59:15 pm »
1.5 isn't finished yet so not all modules are available...

here's what is available atm
https://launchpad.net/~ebox/+archive/1.5

bmullan

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 09:10:58 pm »
I'm trying to install eBox on Ubuntu 10.04 server and facing package problem:

I followed the installation like this:

• Added the deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ebox/1.5/ubuntu lucid main to /etc/apt/sources.list
  • Then updated the list like this apt-get update
  • Then used this line to install the package apt-get install ebox-infrastructure
  • I got this error in return Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Couldn't find package ebox-office

eBox is already listed in the Ubuntu Repositories so I don't think you need to add any PPA to install.   Just make sure you've enabled 3rd party repositories in Synaptic.

bmullan

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 09:38:47 pm »
On Ubuntu 10.04 the repositories already have the following modules listed as installable:

• ebox
    ebox-samba
    ebox-usersandgroups
    ebox-openvpn
    ebox-dns
    ebox-ntp
    ebox-dhcp
    ebox-squid
    ebox-objects
    libebox
    ebox-firewall
    ebox-printers
    ebox-network
    ebox-ca
    ebox-services

I'm new to eBox so my question is this.

In all of the online documentation they talk about using the eBox Installer CD *and* that you would be presented with several eBox "role" choices.

The menu box/choices do NOT happen when installing from the repositories!

So my question is this...
Does anyone know which of the above modules are required to implement the equivalent of the eBox "Office" role?

I found in another post the following statement:

you may install those packages related to ebox-office profile if you don't want to use the console to do so. They are: ebox-antivirus, ebox-ebackup, ebox-egroupware, ebox-monitor, ebox-printers and ebox-samba.

However, the Ubuntu Repositories list none of those "names" except "ebox-samba" and "ebox-printers".

So I am assuming that the Ubuntu Repositories have modules names from a newer release of eBox than the online documentation ???

From the list of modules in the Ubuntu 10.04 repositories WHICH ones are required to make an "office" role equivalent.

Thanks in advance.

cheesyking

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 04:58:33 pm »
However, the Ubuntu Repositories list none of those "names" except "ebox-samba" and "ebox-printers".

This is why you need to add the PPAs. If you did you would get the latest versions of the packages you listed AND the additional packages that have been released since 10.04 came out (like mail, jabber etc).

Since 1.5 is a beta release not all the most recent work is available in the main repositories. In fact 1.5 is never going to be fully released as it's a transitional version getting ready for 2.0 in a month or so.

I don't know exactly which packages are part of the official "office role" but it doesn't really matter. Just install what you want. If you want filesharing... install ebox-samba; if you want vpns install ebox-openvpn etc. Any dependencies like ebox-usersandgroups will be installed automatically.

Cindy494

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 01:51:27 am »
Some of the dependent modules are counter-intuitive. it would be helpful to have a tree showing what the module dependencies are; so those of us who are expecting one simple little module don't freak out if we see 30 dependent modules automatically added.

Those of us wanting a simple file server looking to install "ebox-office" are expecting 7 modules: ebox-samba, ebox-printers, ebox-egroupware, ebox-antivirus, ebox-ebackup, ebox-software, ebox-monitor.

If all one wants is to have simple file sharing (samba) and backup (ebackup) with the ability to manage the server from a client web browser, I find that these modules end up getting installed: 
Users and Groups, Certification Authority, Web Server, Backup, Network Services, Antivirus, Firewall, Network Objects, Mail Service, Monitor, VPN Service, Control Center Client, FTP, Network Configuration, File Sharing

Svein Wisnaes

• Zen Samurai
  • A Norwegian living in Brazil
    • View Profile
    • Oceanwatcher Media | Svein Wisnaes
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 05:51:56 am »
On Ubuntu 10.04 the repositories already have the following modules listed as installable

As far as I know, none of the 1.5 packages are available in the Ubuntu 10.04 repos.

The 1.5 packages are beta software for the upcoming 2.0 release and is not for use on production servers. If you do not want to use the ISO installer that now is available, you have to use the ppa.
Regards,

Oceanwatcher
Do NOT use PM for support. This is a community forum and support is not on a one-on-one basis.
READ BEFORE POSTING - How to make a good post - click here