Author Topic: Not to synchronize profiles  (Read 2018 times)

nereo

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Not to synchronize profiles
« on: June 04, 2008, 12:37:31 pm »
Hi everybody,

i´m a new ebox user and i'm trying to create a domain using my ebox as PDC. Actually, it's configurated and has users in it. The problem is that i don't want the profiles to synchronize but i didn't find the way. I tryed it setting Roaming Profiles in both options, able and disable. it's synchronizing regardless what options i choose. So, my question is:

How can i avoid profile's synchronizing?

i'd be glad if anyone can give me some hints.   

javi

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Not to synchronize profiles
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 01:15:36 pm »
Disable the roaming profiles, create a new user and try again.

nereo

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 09:13:27 am »
Javi, i did it, but nothing different happened.
searching on the web, i found that there's a line in the registry wich is "Central Profile" that stores a value that indicates Domain and Profile. Deleting that value it's suposed to work (setting Roaming Profiles to disable) but it's still not working, still synchronizes profiles and i don't want that. Do you have any clue?

javi

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 10:41:49 am »
As I said, does it happen if you create a new user and add a new computer to the domain? Could you please try that?

nereo

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 01:50:09 pm »
Sorry Javi,

You were right, i forgot about taking the computer out of the domain. It works, BUT, i'm not sure if it's doing it in the expected way.
Everytime i log in, a message appears saying that it's not able to synchronize, and starts to configure absolutly everything - everytime - as if it were the first time that this user was login, or if i were a guest.

There's something else. If it's needed to set for a short space of time the property "Roaming Profiles" to able and during this period a user logs in, it doesn't matter that you set "Roaming Profiles" to disable again, that user is going to synchronize anyway since on. And i think that creating a new user and taking out the computer from the domain (as you suggested) is not a good solution for everytime this happens.

I found another option. Having "Roaming Profiles" set as able, you can go in the computer that you have logged in and establish that user as a local profile, in this way, it doesnt matter how is Roaming Profiles set, it's not going to synchronize while login in this specific computer. The thing is that it's needed to go computer by computer where this profile is going to be used and establish it as a local profile...

if there's any different solution that you can think of...

ps: thank you very much for you answers, you're helping me a lot

nereo

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 01:08:11 pm »
Its solved.
Javi, thanks a lot for your help. after installing a clean ebox it worked perfectly, having roaming profiles (using the latest release of ebox , version .101) disable. Though i did a couple changes to avoid some of the things that i've already commented in this thread.

I created a domain user (always having roaming profiles disable) and i log in the computer(s) where this user is gonna work. I go to My PC (right click), properties, advanced options, user profiles, configuration. And i change the account type to local profile, so every time i log in it's going to load the local profile copy without error messages or without being always a guest. The problem with this is that this user can change its account type, so, not to let him do that, i log in as local administrator, and go to documents and settings, to the user folder, and change the extension of ntuser.dat, being now ntuser.man
Doing this, the account type becomes obligatory so he would not be able to change it.

Hope this is gonna be useful

thanks a lot for your help Javi

nick_nitro

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 10:34:38 am »
Well, you don't need a fresh ebox install.
I had the same problem, just make a change in the smb.conf.
logon path = " " to logon path =
And the problem is gone....  :)

JAK

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 10:46:30 am »
Thanks!
Replacing  logon path = " "  with  logon path =  helped me to resolve the problem with the popup windows which appear when roaming profiles are changed from enable to disable in the File sharing module.

Although I did the replacement in "/usr/share/ebox/stubs/samba/smb.conf.mas" and then restarted Samba. As I understand Ebox holds its copy of Samba configuration in that directory and writes over the /etc/samba/smb.conf every time Samba is restarted therefore undoing the changes made.

Best regards
Jüri-August Kirch

javi

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 11:36:40 am »
Replacing  logon path = " "  with  logon path =  helped me to resolve the problem with the popup windows which appear when roaming profiles are changed from enable to disable in the File sharing module.

Thanks guys for testing this. I'm going to commit the changes to the repository :)

Although I did the replacement in "/usr/share/ebox/stubs/samba/smb.conf.mas" and then restarted Samba. As I understand Ebox holds its copy of Samba configuration in that directory and writes over the /etc/samba/smb.conf every time Samba is restarted therefore undoing the changes made.

You got it right :)

Cheers,

Javi