How to Fix my EBOX PDC Server

How to fix the logging in problem
0 (0%)
Does any encountered this parblem?
0 (0%)
Any one can help about this problem?
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: PDC problem  (Read 2006 times)

steve

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
PDC problem
« on: June 02, 2008, 04:00:39 am »
Hi to all concern,

I was using ebox platform and I've been working with it for more than 3 months as my Primary Domain Controller.
My Problem is there are some usre's or client that it doesn't get in to their account, all i have to do is to rejoined the domain and after that its going to be ok. Secondly when i was login and logout to my account it takes 45 minutes before its showed the desktop and before its lagout.

I will appreciate your immediate respond.   

thanks.

STEVE

javi

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Re: PDC problem
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 04:24:09 pm »
Hi steve,

Regarding the long time to login/logout issue:

I guess you are using a eBox version previous to 0.11.99 Ubuntu. In that version the roaming profiles are enabled by default. Allow me to quote some notes from the samba site on roaming profiles:

Roaming Profiles

Roaming Profiles are profiles that are stored on a server and are downloaded to the workstation whenever a user logs into the machine. The profiles are then uploaded back to the central server when the user logs out.

In theory these types of profiles would be perfect in an environment where users jump from machine to machine, except for the fact that they are downloaded (copied) every time a user logs into a machine. Whenever you have multiple copies of a file you run the risk of losing data during the re-syncing of the data over a network. An offset hardware clock, corrupt sectors on a disk or faulty network wiring could cause data corruption.

Another drawback of Roaming Profiles is the fact that, by default, the user's documents and other application data are stored in the profile folder so the profile can grow to be huge. A profile of several hundred megabytes is common. Imagine if 50 users are logging into workstations at the same time, your network would quickly slow to a crawl. To make matters worse, when these users log out, this same data (slightly modified) is then copied back to the server.

As you see on the last part, roaming profiles might be the reason why login/logout are taken ages.

In our last version we can disable the roaming profiles. If you don't want to reinstall I can tell you how to modify the configuration file  to disable roaming profiles.

If you just want your users to authenticate against the domain, but you are not interested in that your users could  have the same desktop in any computer they log in, roaming profiles are not necessary.

steve

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 06:59:04 pm »
Hi Javi,

I think you are right, for now the roaming profile is not necessary for me. Could you give me an idea on how to disable the roaming profile so that i could retain my current setup, because i don't have enough time reinstall my ebox server, and it's currently using my production right now it's 24hours running no downtime.

thank you very much javi,

i'm appreciated your help!

steve,     

javi

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 12:17:54 pm »
Hi again,

To disable the roaming profiles you will need to modify the following file:

Code: [Select]
/usr/share/ebox/stubs/smb.conf.mas
Find the line that contains the  logon path:

logon path = \\<% $netbios %>\profiles\%U
Change that line to look like this:

logon path = ""
Save the file.

Now you will have to restart samba by running:

/etc/init.d/ebox samba restart
New users should have their roaming profiles disabled, I'm not sure about the current ones, maybe you have to do some magic on the local machines.

steve

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 03:33:38 pm »
Hi Javi,

thank you so much, i will try it later today. i think i need to rejoined to the domain all current users.

thanks again!

God bless you!

Steve