Author Topic: Update log file location  (Read 1362 times)

Ppbottle

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Update log file location
« on: August 03, 2020, 03:27:49 am »
My servers are really screwed up. I had to go back to my last good backup, from the beginning of June.

Now whenever I try to run updates, they hang, sometimes at Zentyal-samba, sometimes at zentyal-dns. When they hang, they knock out networking and DNS so I can no longer connect to the internet to download further updates or anything.

I have tried dpkg --configure -a (which also hangs) and every walk through I can find, which tell me to use --fix-missing and all of those things but nothing helps.

I want to find the log file to try to see if there is a reason the updates are failing but I don't know which log file to log at. Can anyone help?

doncamilo

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
Re: Update log file location
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 11:10:50 am »
 :)

The logs regarding apt are in ' /var/log/dpkg.log' and '/var/log/apt/history.log' (and their respective rotated files with extensions '.1', '.1.gz', etc )

First, you have to be sure that you have free disk space on your boot partition (if this partition was configured when installing)

Code: [Select]
df -H

If the /boot partition doesn't exist or it has free disk space, follow the next step. Else you'll have to remove some old unused kernels in order to have some free space. This can be a tricky process, read some of the tutorials regarding this process (search for 'ubuntu full boot partition' for instance)

The next step is check the broken packages:

dpkg -l | grep -Ev '^(ii|rc)'

Afterward, with this information, you have to study the dependencies between the broken packages in order to proceed to configure them in the correct order one by one (probably you'll have to repeat the process several times on some of the packages)

sudo dpkg --configure package-name

Paste here your broken packages if you need some more help.

Cheers!
- Do my pigeons bother you passing over your land?
- They block the sun!

G. Guareschi., Don Camillo.,

Ppbottle

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2020, 01:21:55 am »
Sorry for the delayed reply, we are a school and everyone cambe back from summer break and I haven't been able to do any server work.

Currently I'm stuck at:

itadmin@luke:/usr/local/crashplan/bin$ sudo dpkg --configure zentyal-dns
Setting up zentyal-dns (6.1.1) ...

The dpkg log says:

2020-08-31 16:06:39 configure zentyal-dns:all 6.1.1 <none>
2020-08-31 16:06:39 status half-configured zentyal-dns:all 6.1.1

The apt log has nothing useful

and df -H says

itadmin@luke:/var/log/zentyal$ df -H
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev            4.2G     0  4.2G   0% /dev
tmpfs           836M   15M  821M   2% /run
/dev/sda1       136G   47G   83G  36% /
tmpfs           4.2G   53M  4.2G   2% /dev/shm
tmpfs           5.3M     0  5.3M   0% /run/lock
tmpfs           4.2G     0  4.2G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/sdb1       2.2T  1.6T  475G  77% /hdd
tmpfs           836M  4.1k  836M   1% /run/user/1000

I can find nothing that suggests why zentyal-dns won't upgrade. It just sits there doing nothing.

Oh, and now I've tried this, the webadmin won't work either.

Any Ideas?

and just for clarity:

itadmin@luke:/var/log/zentyal$ dpkg -l | grep -Ev '^(ii|rc)'
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name                                  Version                                         Architecture Description
+++-=====================================-===============================================-============-===============================================================================
iF  zentyal-dns                           6.1.1                                           all          Zentyal - DNS Server
iU  zentyal-samba                         6.1.2                                           all          Zentyal - Domain Controller and File Sharing

doncamilo

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2020, 02:19:12 pm »
 :)

The postinst script of the zentyal-dns packages only invoques the /usr/share/zentyal/initial-setup script, restart the dns module and invoques dpkg-trigger to zentyal-core. Check your /var/log/zentyal/zentyal.log It has probably logged the issue that prevents your system to configure the dns package.

Cheers!
- Do my pigeons bother you passing over your land?
- They block the sun!

G. Guareschi., Don Camillo.,