Author Topic: Loosing Inet due to an error (Pic attached)  (Read 1892 times)

eDRoaCH

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Loosing Inet due to an error (Pic attached)
« on: May 28, 2008, 07:06:19 pm »
Ive been using and loving ebox for about 6 weeks now. I have vpn and port forwarding working beautifully and am really enjoying the level of polish the system has. I also commend the support here, the only forum based support I have seen nearly as quick is ubuntu-forums itself.

I am leaving for Japan for over a month in about 3 weeks and am hoping to have stable access to my home network thru vpn at that time. However, over the course of using eBox I have had problems 3 times.

Last occured Saturday morning (before I woke up, not exactaly sure when) The symptom is I have no internet access.

Going to the Ebox PC and turning on the monitor, I see a bunch of data scrolling off the screen (forgive me for not being more thurough, it was rather early) with the last line saying
"Trying to clean up, but a reboot is needed"

I imediately downloaded the bug report from eBox on reboot, but I am unsure where to look for the problem. Any help appreciated!

On a side note, has eBox transitioned to mainly running on ubuntu? Should I make the switch? There are some features that I still am hoping to get in future upgrades. I run on a p2 400 with 768mb of ram. System has run like a champ since I built it, and has been my router for 4 years, so I know it is up to the task. Ubuntu may need more overhead though.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 08:30:03 pm by eDRoaCH »

sixstone

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • Sixstone's blog
Re: Loosing Inet due to an error
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 12:49:34 pm »
Ive been using and loving ebox for about 6 weeks now. I have vpn and port forwarding working beautifully and am really enjoying the level of polish the system has. I also commend the support here, the only forum based support I have seen nearly as quick is ubuntu-forums itself.
Thanks dude!
I am leaving for Japan for over a month in about 3 weeks and am hoping to have stable access to my home network thru vpn at that time. However, over the course of using eBox I have had problems 3 times.

Last occured Saturday morning (before I woke up, not exactaly sure when) The symptom is I have no internet access.

Going to the Ebox PC and turning on the monitor, I see a bunch of data scrolling off the screen (forgive me for not being more thurough, it was rather early) with the last line saying
"Trying to clean up, but a reboot is needed"
I immediately downloaded the bug report from eBox on reboot, but I am unsure where to look for the problem. Any help appreciated!
You may check log files in order to find out the problem up there uh. They are under /var/log/ebox/. There is a subdir for openvpn daemons...
On a side note, has eBox transitioned to mainly running on ubuntu? Should I make the switch? There are some features that I still am hoping to get in future upgrades. I run on a p2 400 with 768mb of ram. System has run like a champ since I built it, and has been my router for 4 years, so I know it is up to the task. Ubuntu may need more overhead though.
We're running Ubuntu version with lower memory. 512MB should be fine.

Hope this helps.
My secret is my silence...

eDRoaCH

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 03:26:24 am »
I should have been more clear. This issue actually has nothing to do with the VPN. it is my green interface (internal) that looses internet.

sixstone

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • Sixstone's blog
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 09:37:50 am »
Have you actually open web ports (http, https) in firewall for internal networks? Are you using a transparent proxy?

Without more information, it's impossible.  :)

eDRoaCH

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 11:00:33 pm »
I'm sorry, I guess I am not being very clear. I have been very preocupied with the final preperations for my trip and havent been able to keep up on this as much as I normally would.

The issue is my entire home network looses all internet access. It is not related to services offered to the outside world, what seems to be happening is ebox completely stops routing.

As I said I have a download of the logs (The ones gotten thru the web interface) that I did right after the last time it happened, but there are many files inside the archive and reading logs has never been a strong suit of mine.

The good news is it hasnt happened since, but the last trip I took the day I left a power outage knocked me out. You know how Murphy is...

eDRoaCH

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 08:29:44 pm »
Happened again last night. I was sitting at my computer on hold with my web host (not ISP) waiting for them to fix something. I was not actively using my pc.

Suddenly everything disconnected. This error was different from the other 2 I saw previously. I took a "screen shot" and it is attached here. Sorry its a bit blurry.

Rebooting gets everything up and running. (No need to reboot my home computers) Maybe I can schedule a reboot of ebox somehow? Would this error prevent that from running?

sixstone

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • Sixstone's blog
Re: Loosing Inet due to an error (Pic attached)
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 09:28:54 am »
No way dude. Another kernel panic... It may be a faulty hardware or something. It is quite strange.

javi

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 10:59:20 am »
Yeah, It seems a hardware issue or a kernel issue.

If it's a kernel issue you should try  identify your hardware and check if there's any bug reported in ubuntu with the same hardware...

eDRoaCH

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 03:23:40 pm »
Well its too late now I guess. I am in Japan for the next month behind a crappy firewall that wont even let me FTP my pictures up to my website. I can use logmein.com, but my home computers are perpetually offline. I am truly bummed...

This pc ran beautifully for over 2 years on Astaro and IPcop...