Author Topic: User Migration and Shared Folders  (Read 1821 times)

ktsmunited

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
User Migration and Shared Folders
« on: May 27, 2008, 03:28:50 pm »
Hello,

I recently setup a eBox domain server to be deployed in a small business environment and I have a few questions.

First off, the domain server is going to go into an already established office.  Is it possible to take already existing user accounts settings and migrate them to the new domain user accounts?

Settings I need migrated:
Desktop
My Documents
Email settings (Outlook)
Favorites
Printers

Also, I need to have multiple shares setup as mapped drives dependant on user account and the group the user belongs to.

Thanks,
Scott

javi

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Re: User Migration and Shared Folders
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 12:42:32 pm »
Hi,

Migrating existing settings should be possible but:

- You have to do it manually
- You have to be very careful with the SID number

If you have a spare machine to try and and a laptop, you could do some tests with existing accounts. As you already know, don't set up two machines as domain controllers of the same domain and same SID as they can clash.

Also, I need to have multiple shares setup as mapped drives dependant on user account and the group the user belongs to.

eBox doesn't provide that, you would have to modify the samba configuration, or more accurately, the templates we use to generate the samba configuration in order to configure that.

If you have taken a look at the eBox interface, what it offers is pretty simple:

- PDC/File sharing
- Users/Groups
- User home directory
- Group directories
- Global disk quota

Hope this helps,
Javi