Author Topic: Ubuntu Server 16.04 install Zentyal 5.0 from repositories fails  (Read 9856 times)

glug101

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
I'm not usually the sort that gets stumped, but this is driving me nuts. I've used Zentyal as server since it was called Ebox and was based on Ubuntu 8.04. I find it to be a very convenient and powerful distribution. I now have a server that I want to upgrade from Ubuntu 12.04 (I plan on performing a clean install), but I'm running into issues with installing Zentyal. Namely that it doesn't work in any of my test systems.

The story thus far:

• I started with a clean Ubuntu 16.04 server install. (no gui)
  • I followed the instructions listed here to add the repository for Zentyal 5.0: https://wiki.zentyal.org/wiki/Installation_Guide
  • I type in the magic command: sudo apt-get install zentyal
  • And this is the result:
Code: [Select]
The following packages have unmet dependencies: zentyal : Depends: zentyal-core but it is not going to be installed
           Depends: zentyal-software but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
  • I tried typing in: sudo apt-get install zentyal-core
  • Result:
The following packages have unmet dependencies: zentyal-core : Depends: libhtml-mason-perl (>= 1:1.56+zentyal1-1) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
  • Installing libhtml-mason-perl manually installs version 1:1.56, but installing zentyal-core still gives me the same error

I've tried installing previous version through repositories, but I get similar error messages. I've attempted installing from an iso on Zentyals site and the Zenbuntu gui loads fine, but the zentyal-core package doesn't install properly. My target machine is 32-bit, but I've attempted this on multiple physical computers and virtual machines, both in 32-bit and 64-bit. Still getting the same issue.

I'm completely flummoxed. Is Zentyal just in a completely broken state right now?

Has anybody on here been able to install Zentyal successfully within the last few months?

Thanks in advanced!

grolon

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Ubuntu Server 16.04 install Zentyal 5.0 from repositories fails
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 10:51:36 pm »
no luck over here !.

Arvi89

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 04:52:40 am »
I have installed few months ago yes, clean zentyal 5 install (in a VM), no problem. We use it only as an AD replacement, but no problem.

jclendineng

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 04:50:17 pm »
start from 16.04 desktop.  Might have better luck.  when I was still using zentyal I was always able to install using the desktop version.  Also, why not use the iso from zentyal?

jclendineng

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 07:51:42 pm »
also dpkg...you can run commands to clean your repos and fix broken packages. 

sudo apt-get install synaptic

synaptic is great for looking at packages and dependencies on the desktop version, if on server

sudo apt-get -f install

euggenk

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 02:53:08 pm »
You have to install only basic Ubuntu features. Nothing else. No desktop, Samba or whatever. Than, add a line deb to a source file and a wget keys. After the update, install zenbuntu-desktop, reboot and you'll get a desirable interface. Do not make any extra module installation in a terminal! Another options  is a bit long, but works fine. Make a full 4.2 reinstall with all packages, except printing. Than, run the upgrade. It works too.
Do not use UEFI. Any partition has to stay in a frame of 2 teras - not more than that. Hardware raid works. If you install Zentyal 5.0 - from scratch, do not install it with a graphic interface - doesn't work. Install it with a terminal only and administrate it remotely.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 03:00:04 pm by euggenk »

jclendineng

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 03:13:11 pm »
I mean thats basically what he did...he used server edition and added toe repo and key through cli...I think the issue is something different.

gdave2017

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2017, 04:37:48 pm »
Hi,

same situation for me. I just tried to install zentyal on a small testing system (32 bit only).
seems in zentyal repo is a wrong dependency "libhtml-mason-perl (>= 1:1.56+zentyal1-1)" Link: http://archive.zentyal.org/zentyal/dists/5.0/main/binary-i386/Packages

if I install on my Ubuntu (16.04.2) libhtml-mason-perl it appears in that version (1:1.56-1) - of course lower than 1:1.56+zentyal1-1  :P

visnaut

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 03:05:17 pm »
The definition for libhtml-mason-perl_1.56+zentyal1-1 is missing from the 32-bit Packages file, but is present in the 64-bit version. Try this:

wget http://archive.zentyal.org/zentyal/pool/main/libh/libhtml-mason-perl/libhtml-mason-perl_1.56+zentyal1-1_all.deb;
sudo chmod 777 ./libhtml-mason-perl_1.56+zentyal1-1_all.deb;
sudo apt install ./libhtml-mason-perl_1.56+zentyal1-1_all.deb;
sudo apt-get install zentyal

By downloading and installing it manually, it seemed like that was enough to satisfy the dependencies of sudo apt-get install zentyal on a 32-bit machine, but that was through a --dry-run. I haven't yet verified whether it installed and ran correctly yet; I may do so in the next week week or so. In the meantime, that might be enough to get a few people going.

visnaut

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 06:08:39 am »
So the above did do the trick to install the core, but then the Certificate Authority and DHCP cannot be installed via the UI. Here's how to get those going:

wget wget http://archive.zentyal.org/zentyal/pool/main/z/zentyal-ca/zentyal-ca_5.0_all.deb;
wget http://archive.zentyal.org/zentyal/pool/main/z/zentyal-dhcp/zentyal-dhcp_5.0_all.deb;
sudo chmod 777 *.deb;
sudo apt install ./zentyal-ca_5.0_all.deb;
sudo apt install ./zentyal-dhcp_5.0_all.deb;

After that you can install DNS, Firewall, and VPN through the GUI just fine. Haven't tried other components, but the overall strategy of inspecting the package content lists in the 64-bit version and downloading/installing them manually should help you out if other components give you trouble.