Author Topic: Only install Samba  (Read 2400 times)

rgotten

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Only install Samba
« on: May 13, 2008, 10:20:08 pm »
I am new to all this, including linux. I just finished playing and configuring my raid system. Raid 1 100 mb for /boot, raid 1 2gb for swap, raid 5 10gb for /, and raid 5 986 gb for /home. After reading and installing Ubuntu server 8.04, decided to install ebox for a try. I have isntalled everything with ebox, and to start i believe i only need samba to use the server as a file server. How can i do to only install SAMBA and in the future if i need install the other components.

Thanks

rgotten

Javier Amor Garcia

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Only install Samba
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 08:35:46 am »
You need to go to the software module and remove all modules except filesharing and his dependencies.

rgotten

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 06:51:40 pm »
Like I said, i am very new to this. How can i know which are the dependencies and also if i am new to samba, how can i configure samba thru box.
Also if i need to use  terminal or command prompt, how can you do this from ebox?

Thanks

rgotten

eDRoaCH

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 05:08:31 am »
If all you want out of this is samba (aka not using DHCP, gateway, or anything else) then you should probably just configure samba, which was probably already installed when you installed linux. Just google up a good tutorial for samba on ubuntu.

eBox has a lot of cool features for a home/business gateway/firewall, and if thats what youre after I dont think youll be dissapointed. But if all you want is samba eBox is probably overkill.

rgotten

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 05:34:05 am »
You need to go to the software module and remove all modules except filesharing and his dependencies.

How do i now which one are the dependencies of Samba

Javier Amor Garcia

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 09:03:12 am »
You can install it with:
Code: [Select]
apt-get install ebox-sambaThis wil lbe isntall also its dependencies

rgotten

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 08:26:16 pm »
i try to go to the software module and got the following error: You have just hit a bug in eBox. Please seek technical support. So i can not check which modules are intall and wich one to unistall.

Also if i unistall everythign but samba and tehn in teh future would like to install some otehr component, thgat will be thru the same process, Would it be better to unistall at this point ebox and then reinstall only sambva with the apt-get install ebox-samba, and how i unistall ebox if this is what you advise?

Thanks

rgotten

javi

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 11:26:16 am »
You can easily remove the whole eBox by running:

apt-get remove --purge libebox
And install just samba and its dependencies by running:

apt-get install ebox-samba
Hope this helps

rgotten

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 02:02:26 pm »
i try to go to the software module and got the following error: You have just hit a bug in eBox. Please seek technical support. So i can not check which modules are intall and wich one to unistall.

What is the meaniong of that error?

rgotten

javi

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 03:54:31 pm »
Hi again,

We are just fixing some bugs in the ebox-software module and we'll release it very soon.

In the meanwhile you can enable the debug mode in /etc/ebox/99ebox.conf and go to the software module. This way you'll see more info about the error and you will be able post it here to help us debug it.

Thanks!