Author Topic: Problem during printer installation  (Read 1992 times)

morandir

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Problem during printer installation
« on: May 13, 2008, 12:36:09 pm »
I'm new to ebox (great stuff, gratz btw).

I have a problem during installation of local printer attached to usb. Same printer od the same system gets configured under cups interface (http://localhsot:631) but under the ebox gui i can't configure it.

First steps going right (I name and type of connection, II usb no - yep right one, III manufacturer - it is hp, IV printermodel laserjet - 1010) but on the last one (V) the driver list is empty.

Maybe someone has got same situation? Maybe i missed some packages for installation (but it passed right)? Help me please.

javi

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Problem during printer installation
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 12:52:23 pm »
Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to take a look at it, and I'll get back to you as soon as I figure out what's wrong

morandir

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 01:16:51 pm »
Thanks. I just checked and under ebox live (.99) it works (on the same machine).

morandir

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 08:06:28 pm »
bump?

javi

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 02:12:26 pm »
Hey,

I could install your printer doing the following:

apt-get install foomatic-gutenprint

Now you will be able to use the driver, use the simple one.

morandir

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 12:11:31 pm »
Thx, now i've added pirnter but i can't see it from windows machine within network - should i install it on windows?

detlefb

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 07:01:54 pm »
Hi everyone... I am also new to Ebox ( ubuntu 8.04 server + ubuntu version of ebox 0.99 plus some .100 stuff ). We are using some Samsung SCX 4200 devices, which of course do not occur as properly serviced in the cups foomatic arena. Nevertheless with the aid of many a cups forum  and the Samsung Unified Linux Printerdriver tools we got them printing and scanning while being attached to one server's usb port.

So far: Three Cheers and the like...

But now the real trouble starts: Ebox seemingly does not read/evaluate the existing beauties of an already working cupsd environment ( aka /etc/cups/printer.conf and /etc/cups/cupsd.conf ) although in the module Printers::Manage Printers::General Setting the possibility of "Enable standalone CUPS" is given. Once the solution works, could Ebox not just utilise the existing CUPS solution at the user's without its current behaviour: You must define a printer - which will not work at all, see above - and then it will kill the established CUPSd's configurations.

There will be always troublesome printers around, some even with some ppd solutions provided by not necessarily open sources, but doing their job.

What do you think?

Detlef