Author Topic: Hardy Heron and eBox  (Read 2672 times)

graads

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Hardy Heron and eBox
« on: May 08, 2008, 02:15:00 pm »
Hallo everybody,

I have a question about eBox. Until updating to Hardy Heron a few days ago I didn't know about the existents of eBox, so I didn't react when asked for a password. Searching som information    I found the possibility to examine the settings in a browser by typing https://<IP-address>/ebox but the respons was some grumbling about certificates. At my own risk I could make an exception; I did and then the door opens.
When I tried to change my (empty!) password things became unclear, but when looking afterward at my password: nothing was changed.
I don't know anything about certificates. But when I saw the possibility to do something with  certificates I did something: I made a certificate. [In my native language (Dutch) there is a proverb: 'The dumbest farmers have the biggest potatoes' and I have many experiences that it is true :-))]. But in this case the result was that the user interface became totally unreachable.
FIREFOX says:

Failed to Connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at 1xx.xx.x.xxx.

Though the site seems valid, the browser was unable to establish a connection.

Could the site be temporarily unavailable? Try again later.
Are you unable to browse other sites?  Check the computer's network connection.
Is your computer or network protected by a firewall or proxy? Incorrect settings can interfere with Web browsing.

What could I do?
Reinstall the installed modules of ebox
remove the installed modules of ebox or
Reinstall the installed modules of ebox and install all the not installed modules of ebox

I've chosen the last option and during installation I was asked to give a password (twice) for SLAPD and a little bit later a LDAP root password. I did so. At the end there was a error message: ebox-dns: subprocess post-installation
script returned a fault value of 255 (translated from the dutch)
Then restarting the system, starting Firefox and go to the address https://1xx.xx.x.xxx./ebox
response: something wrong with certificates. I could make an exception at my own risk. I did so. The ebox page came up and asked me for a password. Both of the during installation given passwords were not guilty....
Then I asked myself: Is there PC-life possible without ebox. I decided to investigate that and deinstalled all of ebox.

My question: why should I reinstall ebox, and is there any need to use de userinterface?

Greatings
Graads 

Javier Amor Garcia

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Hardy Heron and eBox
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 05:09:05 pm »
Hello,
  the LDAP password is not the eBox's password. You are asked about the eBox password in another dialog when installing the ebox package.

Anyway if you have console access, yo ucan change the EBox password through the command line; to do so execute the following command:
Code: [Select]
/usr/share/ebox/ebox-passwd
and you will be asked about a new password

Cheers,
  Javier

Javier Amor Garcia

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Hardy Heron and eBox
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 05:12:16 pm »
My question: why should I reinstall ebox, and is there any need to use de userinterface?

Well, if your only problem was the password thing you can fix it with the command I give you in my previous answer. 
Any service configured by eBox can be done at hand but eBox simplifies the configuration process.

It is up to you to give it a try or not.

Cheers,
  Javier