Author Topic: community broadband  (Read 1531 times)

ully-mick

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
community broadband
« on: May 03, 2008, 01:35:05 pm »
Hi,
I live in a small UK village with limited broadband, and it seems BT won't be changing things for us in the near future  >:( so we've set up a community broadband company. registered, applied for funding etc etc.
It seems I've been honoured with the task of setting up the server. I asked on the Ubuntu forums, and was pointed towards wifidog, but I'm not sure thats the right way. then I found this.

the system works like this. we get broadband from the next town (about 5 miles away) then transmit it here via a microwave link to a receiver. The receiver goes into a server then out to a transmitter/reciever that we can connect to via wireless.

So, what I'm looking for is the software for the server. It as to hold usernames and passwords, be able to add/remove users, monitor traffic. We should get the funding for the equipment and the initial setup, but then we're on our own. So the isp as to be paid for by charging everyone a small fee (probably about £5). hence the need for usernames and passwords.

So the question is, will eBox serve our needs, or is there more suitable software out there?

javi

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Re: community broadband
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 10:57:08 am »
Hi,

I'm sorry to say that we don't manage wireless interfaces yet. It's something that we would like to have soon, and it will allow users to do stuff like you are asking.

Google for captive portal software, and I think you'll find something which meets your needs.

Good luck with the project!

ully-mick

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: community broadband
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 12:56:15 pm »
Thank you for the prompt reply, I'm off a googling now    ;D