Author Topic: Block p2p  (Read 4261 times)

ksang

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Block p2p
« on: April 30, 2008, 03:36:43 pm »
Hi. I am new to Ebox platform. I have installed it and i do want to ask if it is possible to block p2p programs such as edonkey, bearshare, and others from throttling my bandwidth.

Also please show me how I can configure my ebox so that I can access it from outside my network.

thanks.

luch0

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
Re: Block p2p
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 03:03:08 am »
Hi and welcome ksang.
You must be start with a close firewall rules, in "Firewall" / "Packet Filter" and "Rules for internal networks":
- Denying all traffic to all ports and destination for all IPs / Objects.
- Allow the necessary rules to especific port and destination for specific IP / Objects.

Remember these rules have priority from top to botton, for that, deny rules always must be in top and allow rules in bottom.

Doing this you have a solution to block for most of P2P software. Some P2P softwares are a little hard to block and you need analize how work. You can combine the firewall rules and the proxy (with content filter, MIME filter and extension filter) to obtain more flexibility.
To access your LAN from outside I recomend use OpenVPN included in ebox. Find this in the forum, I'm secure is than better taht I can explain with my poor english.

Regards.

sixstone

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • Sixstone's blog
Re: Block p2p
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 09:01:52 am »
As Luch0 suggested, in order to access from outside your network, the VPN access is the secure one. Check [1] for details in configuration.

As previously, block P2P software is quite complicated. We have in our roadmap to include software to shape the P2P traffic but it has not been done yet :(

[1] http://ebox-platform.com/usersguide/en/html-chunk/ch17.html
My secret is my silence...