Author Topic: Install Zentyal on a server on the internet, thus eth0 is external  (Read 946 times)

Juelz

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
I must be dumb or something, but I cant configure Zentyal right. I am reinstalling Ubuntu for the third time now ;-)
Anyway, we are a small company with three employers, we all want to share a calendar and contacts and want to use Outlook.
Exchange is too expensive, so why not use zentyal. We dont have a server infrastructure in our company thats why I got a hosted server
where I want to install and configure zentyal.

So is this something which zentyal is made for, or rather not?
I see the warning that configuring eth0 as external results to the firewall locking me out.
But what if i can only access my server from eth0 and this also happens to be from external?
Is there something I can do about it?

robb

Re: Install Zentyal on a server on the internet, thus eth0 is external
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 08:05:09 pm »
Easy... :)
First configure your firewall to accept connections to zentyal administration and SSH. Only after you have allowed the ports on the firewall to access the necessary services, mark eth0 as external. I used to have Zentyal as a web and mail server on a VPS myself. That was for Zentyal 3.2, but the basic configuration and install is not different for Z4.x compared to Z3.2
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 08:11:33 pm by robb »

Juelz

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 08:51:08 pm »
hey robb, thanks for your answer, sounds straightforwarded :-) do you care to explain in maybe one or two lines what to put into iptables regarding zentyal administration and ssh?

and, as i am reinstalling ubuntu again on my box, could you tell me, what i am doing wrong regarding the realm?
my thread is here:
https://forum.zentyal.org/index.php/topic,25061.0.html

thanks again in advance!

robb

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 11:20:38 pm »
BAre with me since I never got beyond Zentyal 3.2 so my experience is not with Zentyal 4.x

Anyway, in the Firewall section, find external to Zentyal and allow Zentyal administration (and SSH if you want that)

On your question about domain name I cant give an answer since I never tried Zentyal 4.x

Juelz

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 07:17:06 pm »
thank you, this works!