Author Topic: Adding a new printer not in list  (Read 4830 times)

drdebian

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Adding a new printer not in list
« on: April 13, 2008, 07:43:47 pm »
I'm trying to add a new network printer to eBox, but there's no suitable driver in the list of known printers.  :'(

The printer is a Brother MFC-5840CN, which is well supported under Linux with drivers from Brother. I was pleasently surprised to find that Ubuntu 8.04 even comes with the lpr- und cupswrapper-drivers, so it should be a snap getting those to work in eBox, shouldn't it?  ;D

The problem is that I have no clue how the list of printers in eBox is compiled or how to add new drivers to that list.  ???

Any ideas?

javi

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Adding a new printer not in list
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 07:45:20 pm »
So which distro  version are you using exactly?

drdebian

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 03:52:38 am »
So which distro  version are you using exactly?

Ubuntu 8.04 Server  ;)

themachine

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 02:01:47 am »
I also have had no luck at all trying to share a printer.  My clients (windows and linux) can see the shared printer but can not print to it. 

I am guessing that this is because the driver for my Canon Pixma MP210 was not present, however I tried many other canon drivers and the generic postscript drivers.

I tried installing canons drivers but do not know how to implement these into ebox. 

Any suggestions how I can get EBOX to recognise my printer?  I have a .ppd file for it and have managed to print to it locally through ubuntu.

javi

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 10:10:21 am »
eBox lists the printer drivers returned by foomatic-db. I don't know how to make it list (if possible) drivers which are not listed by default in that DB. I need to do some research on that

drdebian

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 08:10:34 pm »
eBox lists the printer drivers returned by foomatic-db. I don't know how to make it list (if possible) drivers which are not listed by default in that DB. I need to do some research on that

I posted a question regarding this in the linux foundation forums, who seem to be maintaining the foomatic db: http://forums.linux-foundation.org/read.php?24,4755,5552#msg-5552

Maybe you can add a more specific question after mine?

drdebian

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 05:40:39 pm »

I was wondering whether there's any news on this?

javi

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 05:52:31 pm »
Unfortunately, I haven't had time to do this, but I promise is in my radar screen :)

drdebian

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 11:01:04 am »
Any new dots on the radar screen?  ;D

Is there anything I can do? Research? Tell me where or what to look at and I'll give it (albeit amateur) a shot.

JO3RI

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 08:29:57 am »
Maybe you should implement the option to use PPD drivers, like in cups. I have the same problem, so I tried to use cups instead to add a new printer, after changing some things in the config of cups, i could manage the printers from http://ip-adres:631, but at the end of the config I needed to fill out user and password and that failed on me, so no luck. (can't even use the ebox username and password)

I'm using the ebox iso.

tankduck

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 10:13:43 am »

Is there any more news on this? One of the main reasons I've built my ebox server was to share our large format printer, as well as an A3 and A4, and so far only the A4 seems to be supported. I looked into this before hand and assumed because the drivers for the printer were available for linux then there would be no problems. Is there any sort of workaround?

javi

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 06:24:17 pm »
Hi guys,

Just a quick update on this topic. I've been working a little bit on the printers module. I've added the following features:

- Possibility to support Raw printers, so if your client machines are windows you can just install the driver on the windows side and everything will work out nicely.

-  Possibility to configure printers through the CUPS web interface, and make eBox aware of them

mont44

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 10:06:16 pm »
Hi Javi,

Can you explain to use the cups interface for a newbie?
My printer is an HP Photosmart C6150. When I went to add printer in the printer module, the driver window was blank.

thanks

tankduck

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 12:32:05 pm »

I'd like some pointers on this too if thats cool. 2 of my printers aren't on the ebox drivers list and I'm not particularly popular because of this  :(

Cheers guys

Felix Bartels

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 05:40:42 pm »
-  Possibility to configure printers through the CUPS web interface, and make eBox aware of them

Hello javi,

as quoted, you have written that there is a possibility to make ebox aware of printer configured through the cups web interface, but i cant find something like this. i also updated to the latest testing versions from the hardy repositorium, but no change in this.

maybe you can give a hint where to find this or how to add a cups printer in in samba through ebox

thanks in advance