Author Topic: [SOLVED] Zentyal 4 - "Mail" shows "Stopped" but works  (Read 1112 times)

Giblet535

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
[SOLVED] Zentyal 4 - "Mail" shows "Stopped" but works
« on: January 26, 2015, 02:07:02 pm »
Up until today, and new with Zentyal 4, the mail subsystem had to be restarted before email could be sent (TBird, webmail, Android).

Until today, Mail always displayed in the dashboard as "Running" whether it worked or not.

Today, it shows as "Stopped". The "Start" button displays that starting Mail was successful, but the status still displays "Stopped".

Yet I can send and receive email (for now).

Can someone explain why there are three mail subsystem categories in the web admin user interface? (OpenChange, Mail, and Mail Filter?) Did that really make sense to someone?

How do I troubleshoot "Mail" problems?

--
SOLVED:
I had added an external email account (Google) to fetch email from.
Removing that account allows the Mail subsystem to display as "Running" and it still works.

This appears to be an identical bug to the one in the 3.5 release.

This still doesn't explain why there are three Mail subsystems in the user interface, but then I have not seen the UI team's automobiles: they might have separate Left-Turn, and Right-Turn steering wheels plus a Turn-Stick labeled with arrows pointing up and down. So, not enough data.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 03:03:14 pm by Giblet535 »

jbahillo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Re: [SOLVED] Zentyal 4 - "Mail" shows "Stopped" but works
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 09:48:59 pm »
Hello:

In order to do this you have to understand the different services running under the hood and how much dependent they are between them:

1st you have the SMTP (SMTP and SMTPD actually)and the  POP/IMAP server. They are fully dependent and they consist on the amil module
Then you have Amavis + (optionally ) Clamav + (optionally) Spamassasin. They are the mail filter
Finally, you have the openchange module which bring you the webmail service and all the Outlook MAPI functionalities. Here it may be argued that you may want the webmail without Openchange, but that's another story.

As you may see not everybody has to be interested on the full stack (some people may be interested on mail module, but prefer to use an external filtering program), or some may prefer installing a Squirrelmail service for webmail

Hope this makes you understand the logic of having three modules for mails ervice (given they provide different functionalities inside mail services)